Need help with Sizing Fans and Burners for RTO's

Russ

Lifetime Supporting Member
I guess I should feel fortunate, but to be honest I'm pretty concerned.
A few customers have asked me about increasing overall air volume through their RTOs. They'd like to increase their fan capabilities. Most of them are currently running at at 60Hz, and there's not a lot I can do except replace what they've got.
I've talked with some fan companies and have given them current static pressure readings/temps at the current fans.

But I'm stumped. A customer wants to go from their current 20KSCFM fan to a 30KSCFM. What should I look at in order to make an appropriate recommendation? The current 20KSCFM fan was designed for 30kscfm flow, however the pressure drop and temp was taken into consideration in coming up with the 20kscfm rating for the RTO. At this point the unit isn't pulling 20Kscfm due to plugging, but that's another story.

Things to consider. Currently one of the systems use ceramic saddle, which is plugged. I'm guessing with the increased air flow, I'll need to add media to the chambers. Also, with the increased air flow I'm concerned about the burner sizing.
With the increased forces in the outlet, I figured I'd go with the fan manufacturers recommendation for duct modifications.
But again... I'm not sure of the math, and could use some help.
I'd like to help these customers out, but I want to do it right. Not just a short term fix, with long term problems (I've seen a 3 tower unit that had its fan increased and the results were quite bad).

I'll also keep in consideration the VFD. I know what the present VFD's current ratings are, and depending upon the motor sizing for the new fan, it might be necessary to change that out as well.

Thanks in advance!!!