A plants PLC network

The G Man

When mapping a plants PLC network I am noticing that the HMI's and the drives both have IP addresses, will I be able to see programs for each when I access the system

The G Man said:
When mapping a plants PLC network I am noticing that the HMI's and the drives both have IP addresses, will I be able to see programs for each when I access the system

All depends on the tools you have, regarding HMI do not know what brand you have, you have to get the original program otherwise you will be able only to use it but not to see what is inside.
On the drives side you have to use a tool in order to see drive´s internal config otherwise you will be able only to enter their internal web page if they have it.

Hi Widelto, with the ip addresses of the devices (they are all using control logix) will I be able to see the ladder logic programs, once on the companys network.

If you have RSLogix 5000 and RSLinx you will be able to see the ladder logic. If you want to see the documentation (rung comments and tag descriptions), you will need a copy of the program (has the extension .acd).

If the PLC's are password protected, you may not be able to do much other than see them on the network. Do you know if they are password protected? If so, do you have the password?

The off site programmer just sent me the programs with the file extension .ACD, I wasnt able to open them without the RS Logix 5000 software. I just ordered RS Logix Lite edition should be able to read program then. On site they are using control logix ver.15 and compact logix ver.15. Is programming on the 5000 the same as the 500.

Thanks Gavin

No.

RSLogix500 is not the same as RSLogix5000.

By observing the types of questions you have been asking in different threads, I would recommend that you attend some training on ControlLogix.

I agreen with Oakley. The cost of the training often seems expensive to people, but it is a very worthwhile investment. You certainly don't want to learn things the hard way on operating equipment. For example, the difference between upload an download. Get that one wrong on production equipment and you won't make too many friends.

The G Man said:
Hi Widelto, with the ip addresses of the devices (they are all using control logix) will I be able to see the ladder logic programs, once on the companys network.

Be careful, there are two flavors of rslogix 5000 a lite one and a professional one, with the first you can not access programs with FB ( function locks) but only ladder, with the professional one you can access everything.
You decide which one to buy.

widelto said:
Be careful, there are two flavors of rslogix 5000 a lite one and a professional one, with the first you can not access programs with FB ( function locks) but only ladder, with the professional one you can access everything.
You decide which one to buy.

There's alot more then that ( see PDF below)

Could RSLogix5000 open a file written in RSLogix500? I doubt.
I highly recommend you get the professional version, no matter you need 500 or 5000.

I once had the same situation as yours. To save the cost, I ordered a Mini edition at first, because the client only asked me to test the code and find the deviation with the specification. But later, I find I have to upgrade my version since they change their mind and asked me to fix the problems fouond in FBD and SFC.