New to PLC's - pinging

z28summit

I am trying to ping a 170 ADM Momentum, and keep getting a Request Times Out. Is there anything else I can try to make a connection to it?

Check the IP address's of the PC you are using to ping and also the PLC. Also check your subnet mask. If your subnet is 255.255.255.0 then both PC and PLC will need to have the same IP address as far as the subnet goes ( in the above example on the last group can be different.) treat the 255's in the subnet mask as "this part of the ip address must be the same" and treat the 0's inthe mask as "this part of the address must be different". If your IP's and subnet are OK then the problem is in the connection between them , try connecting them togethere with just a cat5 cable (most new pc's will be able to "autosense" the cable connection.)

Yes, I know the Subnet, but I have tried a number of IP's that I thought it was with no luck. I am trying to find the bootplt tool, and I will just change the IP

Not sure about Momentums but mostly (Allen Bradley) once you set the IP for an adapter, in order to use the BootTP utility, you still need to know the existing IP of the adapetr in order to reconfigure it.

From experience I have determined that if you can NOT ping it there is a problem with one of the ports or the cabling between.
Ping uses the lowest available common denominator for communications.

This is another post where there is NOT enough information or maybe the correct information to get the answer that is needed.
It could be taken that:
1. You are not sure what the IP address is?
2. You know the IP address but can NOT achieve communications?
3. You have no "clue" what you are doing?
At any rate, it is a good example of:
Ask the "right" question "after" giving the proper background information and you will likely get the answer that you need very quickly.
Leave out the "needed" back ground information or ask an ambiguous question and the answer you get may be "way off course", "irrevelant", or "confusing".
Sorry, I do NOT intend to "hijack" this post!
(Maybe I should account for you being from Canada! :) and take in account what you "mean" rather than what you "say"?, no I am not a 'yupper')

Last edited:
I do not know the IP address of my PLC.
I am currently scanning the network with the utility reccomended by Dua.
bkottarus, you are right in that I need the current IP (and subnet) to utilize Bootp.
Bottom line is that I have a PLC with an unknown IP address
If anyone else can think of a way, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help so far, it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks tragically1969. I have found that I have a Gratuitous ARP problem, and am starting to research into it.
FYI, ethereal is now Wireshark

If you are using Concept software for your Momentum you should be able to open the Ethernet configuration utility and push the BootP button. If you are connected with the correct Ip range and subnet then the utility interrogates the network and returns attached nodes by their MAC address and displays the IP address if there is one assigned. You can match up the MAC address to the MAC sticker on the processor and assign an address with the same utility.