Pinging Ethernet Devices From a RW PLC

Walks

Is there a way to ping an Ethernet/IP device using a 1756-L81E? I want to set an alarm in the event that my Ethernet device disconnects from my PLC.

The Ethernet device can only send data to the PLC when it receives data from a third device. There may be long periods of time where the Ethernet Device is not receiving data and during that time I want to make sure it is never disconnected PLC.

I've seen that it is possible to do this on Siemens and OMRON PLCs but I can't really find anything related to Rockwell.

See attached file

@Walks:

You mentioned that your device was EIP compatible, so just add it to the ethernet tree and follow my example.
That routine is located inside a periodic task , in my case it runs every 66.66 mS, priority 7.

If the device can't create a cyclic I/O connection (in the I/O tree), then you should be able to use an MSG instruction to read simple data from it. The Identity Object makes sense; you can then also verify that the device is the one you think it is.

Thanks for the answers. I may have a simple solution since the ethernet device is connected through a Stratix8000 managed switch.

If I'm not mistaken, I can query a specific port on the Stratix through my L81E to see if it is connected to a device right? I'm still looking into it.