Delta RMC Config!

Bruce99

I have just seen another canter using G series probes programmed to use "start/stop" rather than PWM. The specs say use start/stop with one or two recircs. Delta RMCs use PWM and start/stop with recircs depending on probe length, right?....Start/stop uses time based on the first rise pulse of the command start and the reset rise pulse. PWM uses the Time based on the duration of the start pulse. If recircs affect resolution what is the advantage of start/stop over PWM? SAS boxes dont care about pulse rise or duration. They work with G series probes very well. This machine is fighting optimizer solutions... or so it would seem. It runs at 540 FPM and it is hard to see where the problem originates. I was surprised to see 150 thou as in bound plus 50 allowable error. Oh by the way.. The whole Canadian wood industry has changed the production focus to high grade wood, chipping everything else. The market will see the effects in about 8 months. We are chipping whole logs and a new plant dedicated to this is now running. This is insane. I am going to my old mill for a few months. I will then be unemployed....again....I think Ill go back to mining...:) Cheers!!!

Yes, it is dim an grim in some industry and some places.

Bruce99 said:
I have just seen another canter using G series probes programmed to use "start/stop" rather than PWM. The specs say use start/stop with one or two recircs. Delta RMCs use PWM and start/stop with records depending on probe length, right?....Start/stop uses time based on the first rise pulse of the command start and the reset rise pulse. PWM uses the Time based on the duration of the start pulse. If records affect resolution what is the advantage of start/stop over PWM?
There isn't any advantage using between start/stop and PWM when using one recirculation. The RMCs are designed to use only one recirculation. Using two recirculating works but it the speed estimations aren't as good because it is impossible to tell the position of the actuator during the second recirculation.

SAS boxes dont care about pulse rise or duration. They work with G series probes very well. This machine is fighting optimizer solutions... or so it would seem.
SAS boxes are ancient and just get in the way. SAS has been defuct for years. There are only three ways to go. Start/stop or PWM with one recirculation or SSI. Who installed your machine? I know just about all the OEMs engineers because they call for technical help.

It runs at 540 FPM and it is hard to see where the problem originates.
That isn't fast. There are many systems running 700 fpm. The thing to do is to get graphs of the motion, zip them up and send them to us. Then give us a call. We are very good at diagnosing problems. Better yet. If the computer system is connected to the internet we can use gotomeeting to monitor your machine while it is working. See this.
http://forum.deltamotion.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28
The last post tells it all. Gotomeeting is a great support tool.

I was surprised to see 150 thou as in bound plus 50 allowable error. Oh by the way..
That is high. Normally use 0.010 or 0.005 inches. The reason the OEMs do that is to indicate to the PLC that we are in position so they can go on to the next state. You are right. They are just hoping we make it. This helps when the PLC scan time is long but it is possible to do much of the sequencing in the RMC without fudging in positions for the PLC. The RMC100 has step table and the RMC150/75 have very powerful user programs.

The whole Canadian wood industry has changed the production focus to high grade wood, chipping everything else. The market will see the effects in about 8 months.
I have seen this before. I have been at this for 28 years. It was dim and grim in the early 80s too. The big thing was cutting clear cedar for the Japaneese then.

We are chipping whole logs and a new plant dedicated to this is now running. This is insane. I am going to my old mill for a few months. I will then be unemployed....again....I think Ill go back to mining...:) Cheers!!!
I remember one of your earlier posts about a small town losing its last two saw mills. That is sad. I looked up the city you mentioned. There is absolutely nothing those folks can do since their location is so remote. Sad. I have seen this before. When I worked at Applied Theory ( USNR in the early 1980's ) a Boise-Cascade mill shut down and the whole town around it dissappeared. One of the techinicians at Applied Theory said he grew up in that town that was no more. I think the town name was Valsetz, OR.
http://hometown.aol.com/valsetzoregon/myhomepage/profile.html

I have felt some of your pain. Our best distributor in the past has be PQ Systems limited in BC. We have sold a lot of motion control to Canada. Per capita, the Canadians have even been better customers than the US customers. So we notice when things things aren't going well up north. Fortunately we are diversified enough where we are not solely dependent on BC or the sawmill industry in general but it does hurt. The cheap Bush dollars has made our products more afforadable abroad so exports have increased. The exports are good but I am not worth as many barrels of oil or onces of gold as I used to be. For that I curse Bush. Alberta is picking up a bit because of the high price of gas. Our problem is that the gas and oil industry are not as technologically advanced as the saw mill industry. Everything in the gas and oil industry takes time and many of the integrators are incompetent, that is a big problem in Texas. Few understand how sophisticated the saw mill industry really is.

Did you know that Coe-Newnes didn't even have a booth at the saw mill show in Portland?

You might try contacting GLC controls in Prince George instead of going back to mining.

Finally, we have a forum at forum.deltamotion.com