laod cell

Talk about not providing critical info first off what model of Allen bradley???? There is lots of different ones.
secondly a load cell is a type of strain gauge same as a tranducer. You need an analog input card for the series of Allen bradly your using

Allen Bradley has several partners that provide cards to interface with load cells. We are using Hardy 1756 type cards on our bag packaging lines. They have been very reliable.

Check out AB's Thermocouple input modules. They all can be set to read mV signal. You have to provide an external 10 or 15 VDC power supply.
They are available for Micro 1200/1500, PLC5, SLC500, CLogix, FlexLogix, CompactLogix, etc.
These modules are much cheaper than Hardy modules and offer multiple input channels (4-6). You have to handle all the math and logic for zeroing/spanning within the PLC logic.

Hardy modules perform all these functions outside the PLC and make it very simple for the programmer and operator.

mordred said:
Talk about not providing critical info first off what model of Allen bradley???? There is lots of different ones.
secondly a load cell is a type of strain gauge same as a tranducer. You need an analog input card for the series of Allen bradly your using

i speak a bout all model of allen bradley
micrologix slc 500 SLC 5000 ....
I want too now if we have a modul to connect load cell directly with out convertisseur
thks

Umm SLC 500 includes several models of SLC's there is the 501, 502, 504, 503 thanksfully they all fall into the 1747 group. Correct info would be example only " I have an SLC 504 model 1747-L542" this number will be on the insid of the processor card. The others have posted the various modules that will work with this series

3ICHRA said:
i speak a bout all model of allen bradley
micrologix slc 500 SLC 5000 ....
I want too now if we have a modul to connect load cell directly with out convertisseur
thks
I don't know AB hardware, but can clarify the question a bit.

1) Does AB have a module with an built-in Excitation supply for Transducers for the SLC 500 and/or SLC 5000 series?
2) Any third party products that directly plug in?

3) If not, then a converter is needed. How does the Hardy interface to the PLC? Analog card?

An Analog card with external supply was mentioned. A simple transducer has a Wheatstone bridge. This looks like a full wave bridge with resistors. The Exitation power supply is critical.

Other (more expensive) tranducers have built-in electronics that provide a linearized output for direct input to a PLC analog card. Most of these would need a 24DC supply.

The lowest cost converter I can think of is made by a company that has a large "A" for a logo. Device is built in a relay module format, and uses an 11 pin relay socket. [Update} Action Instuments.

AB experts - please fill in the blanks.

Last edited:
I don't seem to have good luck with the AB loadcell cards. I found that it's better to use a load cell with communications capabilities and use RIO or Ethernet IP to read the weight. With the communications, I can do tare, zero, net (tare) weight, gross weight, etc.

My preference for similar reasons has always been to use an indicator then send the weight on constant transmit via ascii to the PLC the GSe 650 series works well for this but its tricky to program the CW-80 indicator is easily setup for the communication group (no macro required) but for small applications I tend to use the 920I indicator from rice lake as its programmable and can handle up to 32 I/O points and has various option cards such as an analog output card. Granted all my applications require Canada weight and measures certification and problems such as only 2% zeroing is difficult to confirm in a PLC to the inspector