RSLogix 5000 search function

Paul351W

I'm converting a project to Control Logix from a PLC-5, so it created address tags based on the old architecture.

For what used to be input I:000/0, it now says I_00_Bit00 . I can cross reference the tag and it finds all the instances in the program, but if I try to use the search box it says it cannot find any instances of the name.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is the search function just useless in this software? I'm running version 16.03 btw.

Paul351W said:
...Am I doing something wrong here, or is the search function just useless in this software? I'm running version 16.03 btw.

Yes, almost...you are doing something wrong and it is almost useless.

When you do a search, look at the features selected, and make sure it will search within all the fields you want. note that each time you perform a search you may have to reset those choices... Also, don't use F3 to repeat the search, as it does something else in RSLogix5000.

Your well formed RSLogix5/500 habits will have to be retrained...if you are like me and very keyboard oriented...

Just to clarify, I am trying to use the search box at the top of the window next to the binocular looking icons.

Update: I just changed the "find within" options, and now it will find addresses that I put in. How dumb that you have to change settings to get it to actually find things...

In RSLogix5/500 I avoid the Cross-Reference and use Find All instead.

In RSLogix5000 I use Cross-Reference almost exclusively. The Find is nearly useless. Not entirely, but nearly.

Once you get the hang of Destructive/Non-Destructive I think you will find the xref much more useful.

OG