WinCC application in different languages

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guys,
I'm not very familiar with WinCC so I was surprised when I saw one small WinCC application that has on one page buttons with diferent language to choose. If you choose "English", every menus and button captions are in English and so forth. It seems like there is some kind of special language script that is loaded every time user press approriate button which change labels and menus.
I know there are couple people here who are experts and I'd like you to share these tips and tricks with use.
Thanks

Last edited:
If its WinCC Flexible it is very easy. You setup how ever many languages you want and it makes a table of all your text in your project. Then you can save the table out to Excel and have someone convert it over. Import it back in and your done. You have different ways to select the language at runtime. I just have a button that will index through them all.

Siemens has a white paper on how to do all this. I will look for a link.

Try here it should be the Getting Started Power Users. Chapt 7 shows a step by step on how to set it up.

http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll/csfetch/18656980/WinCCflexible2005_GettingStarted_PowerUser_e.pdf?func=cslib.csFetch&nodeid=19309685&forcedownload=true

one more edit.
Chapt 8 not 7

Last edited:
Pandiani said:
Hello guys,
I'm not very familiar with WinCC so I was surprised when I saw one small WinCC application that has on one page buttons with diferent language to choose. If you choose "English", every menus and button captions are in English and so forth. It seems like there is some kind of special language script that is loaded every time user press approriate button which change labels and menus.
I know there are couple people here who are experts and I'd like you to share these tips and tricks with use.
Thanks

Hello Pandiani;
Try looking up "Text Library" from the online help, it will show you the steps to create a multilingual database for all your text messages in your application.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Pandiani said:
Hello guys,
Thanks

Quick reply as it's past time to go home...:D

Left side of the screen, Language settings > Project languages > here you can select how many languages you want to use. (note it does not translate the text for you...:D)

Now a bit down > Language settings > Project texts > This contains all the texts, this can be exported to Excell if you'd like for translating the needed texts.

Create random button > Set it to Graphic button mode > select for graphic a country flag > Events > Click > SetLanguage > Select the language conform to the flag you have chosen > Compile > Download.

Not hard....have fun

Jeebs

Thank you guys for your replies. It is WinCC v6.2. I had WinCC 6.0 demo somewhere. It seems I'll have to learn that since I do maintenance in one power plant for a living. Advanced control theory and modelling is like a hobby.
I'll play with it for a while and let you know how I'm doing...

Last edited: