Commander SK

Greg Dake

Greetings,

Curious if anyone has any comments and/or experience with Emerson's Commander SK drives. Currently we use primarily ABB and AB drives. The Commander SK's look a little more "user friendly" for the average Joe on basic applications.

TIA,

Greg

We have used them in the past.

The various 'modes' of operation can be confusing sometimes. Selecting one presets a number of other factors which may not be apparent. Sometimes I felt that it was being TOO helpful.

But all the parameters are easily accessible. The communication supports MODBUS access which also has access to all parameters.

A low cost optional memory stick is available for saving a drive's setup so that it is available for instant reloading into a replacement drive.

bernie_carlton said:
We have used them in the past.

The various 'modes' of operation can be confusing sometimes. Selecting one presets a number of other factors which may not be apparent. Sometimes I felt that it was being TOO helpful.

But all the parameters are easily accessible. The communication supports MODBUS access which also has access to all parameters.

A low cost optional memory stick is available for saving a drive's setup so that it is available for instant reloading into a replacement drive.

Bernie,

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "modes of operation"? Are you referring to pre-configured macros in the drive?

Built in Modbus is always a good thing for me. I utilize comm to drives quite a bit.

The low cost memory stick is what really interested some of us. You can have the parameters backed up without a computer. Of course, other drive manufacturers have similar backup capabilities (keypad uploads, etc...)

How are these drives on the reliablity side? How many are in your plant or how many have you integrated? Any failures?

Thanks again for your response and insight,

Greg

I should have used the correct term. By 'modes' I meant the various configurations set up by Menu 0 Item 5.

We are an OEM - but our customers seem to like the drives. Our purchasing though has switched us over to AB Powerflex as standard now.

You can ask but I don't know. Something in the relationship (which shall no be named) between suppliers and purchasing. And the questions - "Can this device be made to work where this other device is now?" - Not "Should we change to this device?"

I had a purchasing agent ask if we could get PLC input cards from anybody? I said - if the part number is the same. The reply - "Oh, does that matter? It's just an input card isn't?"

bernie_carlton said:
You can ask but I don't know. Something in the relationship (which shall no be named) between suppliers and purchasing. And the questions - "Can this device be made to work where this other device is now?" - Not "Should we change to this device?"

I had a purchasing agent ask if we could get PLC input cards from anybody? I said - if the part number is the same. The reply - "Oh, does that matter? It's just an input card isn't?"
Us, control guys, are known for making life difficult for the poor purchasing agents.
It's a shame!!!

I don't get it - us guys make all the money for the companies we work for, yet they don't consult us on stuff like that...

"just an input card" HWAH! Yes, and that thing in your nether regions, it's a lot like a foot.

Greg Dake said:
Greetings,

Curious if anyone has any comments and/or experience with Emerson's Commander SK drives. Currently we use primarily ABB and AB drives. The Commander SK's look a little more "user friendly" for the average Joe on basic applications.

TIA,

Greg

The SK performs very well especially in Torque control applications where we have phased out the old DC equipment.