Dumb question

bioplc

here is the dumbest question. when you upload .rss file from any SLC or Micrologix..is the file name same as processor name??? per say my file name when i downloaded file name is Sealer_10_1.rss and with processor name is sealer. When i uploaded program on file name on top showing as sealer.rss..

help needed

When you upload to a "New File", the default filename is taken from the online processor name found under Controller Properties. If you had uploaded with the "Use File" option, it would have uploaded the logic and data, and merged that with all the offline information (comments, symbols) from the open file you chose.

Here is the problem..i do not have original file and my "USE File" Option is grayed out.

is that a normal practise to name processor different than file name???

PS: I hate VALIDATION

Theres no such thing as "normal" practice for prosessor name or file names. It's the programmers choice. I have seen a lot of file names with
a date or revision number added to the processor name.
Processor names have a limited number of charaters, where as a file name can get very descriptive ( long, too long sometimes IMO) if you want.

Last edited:
I work for an OEM and we always name the processor our electrical serial number. We also name the file the same, but more often than not, when the machine goes to the customers facility the customer changes the file name to match whatever naming scheme that hey have at their plant. And quite often they never change the processor name.

I always change the processor name to something meaningful. "252662" doesn't mean anything to me but "oldbow" does. The only thing I think the processor name is useful for is distinguishing between processors on a network with RSLinx.

bioplc said:
Here is the problem..i do not have original file and my "USE File" Option is grayed out.

The use file option is normally grayed out when you have not selected the proper directory where the file is stored.
You may want to use the browse button and make sure you are pointed to the correct system folder where your documentation file is located.

I'm confused. If you don't have the original file all you can do is upload the program and create a new file, you can name the file whatever you want, the processor name doesn't have any relevance here.

Are you having trouble creating a new file?

I work for a Pharma company..where file name means alot. Validation department pushing us to find the original file name existing on the system.

hm. if you go online with an AB plc, the processor NAME is under the CPU config. If you want the original FILE that was used to load the PLC, it's not in there.

bioplc said:
I work for a Pharma company..where file name means alot. Validation department pushing us to find the original file name existing on the system.

What the heck does it matter what the original file name is if you don't have it? It's not stored in the processor. Make something up.

You keep saying that. All validation does, IIRC, is to verify what is supposed to be in the PLC is in the PLC.

This requires a source file, which you don't have. However, if there is documentation showing what should be in there, PLC-name-wise, they should be happy, IF you can make a copy.

What's the problem with validation?