Datalogging for others to see

bguinn

I have set up RSView to do some datalogging.

This all started out as a troubleshooting, and CYA tool. It works great for these purposes. Now that it is known that I have this going on, others (management) want to be able to see the info as well.

Now that I have the .dbf files, or EXCEL pivot tables, how do I get this info out so anyone can see it without me having to create them a report, probably with alot of info they don't want?

I have a dedicated XP professional PC just for this. Have thought about some sort of dynamic database, but really just don't know what to do with it.

You could import your table into an Access database and then use its report features to customize it as you need.

Another way is if you know VB or C is to use it to extract and display the data.

Aha - that's how it always builds up. You show 'em capabilities and they want more...

give 'em a crumb, they want a cookie, give the cookie, they want the jar, give the jar...

.dbf, you mean a DBase file? Can't really share the file easily over the network because your logger won't be able to maintain write access over it. Since you have a dedicated XP machine, you could go the cheesy (easy) route and provide remote control access (Remote Desktop, VNC, Dameware, PCAnywhere, etc).

That's one reason data logging solutions use SQL databases.

The next question is how can everyone view the data. That's where a "web based" approach comes in handy. Give your boss the URL for his browser and he can pull up the data. Good times...

bguinn said:
I have set up RSView to do some datalogging.

This all started out as a troubleshooting, and CYA tool. It works great for these purposes. Now that it is known that I have this going on, others (management) want to be able to see the info as well.

Now that I have the .dbf files, or EXCEL pivot tables, how do I get this info out so anyone can see it without me having to create them a report, probably with alot of info they don't want?

I have a dedicated XP professional PC just for this. Have thought about some sort of dynamic database, but really just don't know what to do with it.

Thanks Surferb,

That was what I seemed to be getting to. Unfortunately, both the SQL and web design, are both outside my present abilities. Have looked into both topics and both seem pretty complicated to set up. On top of all that I was hoping to keep IT out of the loop on this.

Any pointers on getting the SQL database set up? It looks to me that the web part might be a little easier.

Thanks,
Brian

You have a number of options:
1. An OPC to SQL Data logging tool. FactorySQL is my favorite. There are others. These are affordable. Some vendors sell more expensive, higher end packages called "Historians". These are basically the same thing, but often include a customized version of the SQL database that you're paying for. They may include software to view the data, which may or may not be web based.
2. Once your data is in an SQL database, server side scripted web site creation is a common skillset. This usually involves scripting in a language like PHP, ASP, Perl, Cold Fusion, Java Servlets, Ruby, etc. There are WYSIWYG packages like CodeCharge Studio or Dream Weaver if you so desire. Going this route is creating a custom application.
3. Purchase a builtin package that utilizes those technologies. This way you don't have to roll your own code. I'd recommend getting a web demo from Inductive Automation to see their Java based approach (FactoryPMI). Most vendors these days offer some sort of web based presentation product. I think the Rockwell version is called, "ActiveWeb Portal" or something like that.

Depending on the scope of your project, I would opt to get IT involved rather than keeping them out of the loop. They should be able to maintain and back up the SQL database for you. They should also be able to support the infastructure and everything you need to provide things like: secure remote access, client updates, etc.

To answer your question - SQL databases aren't difficult to set up. You can download MySQL and various frontends and admin tools for free. If you want to play with SQL Server, Express Edition is free.

bguinn said:
Thanks Surferb,

That was what I seemed to be getting to. Unfortunately, both the SQL and web design, are both outside my present abilities. Have looked into both topics and both seem pretty complicated to set up. On top of all that I was hoping to keep IT out of the loop on this.

Any pointers on getting the SQL database set up? It looks to me that the web part might be a little easier.

Thanks,
Brian