Interposing relay blocks

johnjtaylor

I have been searching the net for relatively affordable plc interposing relay blocks with replaceable relays and fused outputs for easy maintenance. Din rail mounted circuit boards would be preferable. These are for Siemens plc transistor output cards. Siemens are a bit expensive for a tight budget.

Thankyou Allan. Remote I/O are not applicable to this project though. I just want the wear and tear away from the plc if you know what I mean. I have saved the info for reference. Thankyou again.

If you are looling to save some space, Phoenix Contact has blocks with replaceable relays that are the width of a terminal block:
http://www.phoenixcontact.com/signal-level-matching/31255_31449.htm

They also have wiring systems which will go directly from the Siemens Card to a header which snaps onto a bank of the relays.

http://www.phoenixcontact.com/signal-level-matching/31257_30197.htm

I haven't seen combination devices with both a relay and fuse in one...

<disclaimer - I work for a Phoenix Contact distributor>

johnjtaylor said:
Thankyou Allan. Remote I/O are not applicable to this project though. I just want the wear and tear away from the plc if you know what I mean. I have saved the info for reference. Thankyou again.

I'm curious why you don't want the plc to operate the device. The output will operate at the same frequency as the relay. If the current draw is too high or a different voltage, then I can understand, but to me wear and tear sounds more like just number of operations.

Hello ndzied1
The purpose of using a transistor output card and an interposing relay board so that if the relay was to burn out the relay can be unpluggged and replaced. With a plc relay output board the plc has to be shut down to replace the card affecting the delicate operation of the plant. easier maintenance for on site personnel and reduce having spare cards on site.

Thankyou Allan. Remote I/O are not applicable to this project though.
Then you had better actually look at what Allan Barnes suggested. Those A-D modules are NOT "Remote I/O", but instead EIGHT good isolated relays mounted on a single DIN-rail base, with fuses. Certainly you can replace these modules without shutting down the PLC, although probably not each individual relay. At $89, it would not be impractical to replace all 8.
8 pt. 5-30 VDC or 5-240 VAC isolated relay output module, 8 Form A (SPST) relays, 1 point per common, 7.0A/point max., 8 replaceable fuses (T1K-FUSE-3) (Isolation requires use of T1K-16B or T1K-16B-1 terminal base.)

Relay_Module.JPG

Last edited:
John,

I am glad that you found what your customer wanted. However it appears that the MOP-16RI relay module from Tait Controls does not have plug-in replaceable relays as YOU originally specified, so you would have to replace all 16 if one goes bad, or become a solder guru.

The Phoenix Contact module relays ARE pluggable and replacable, and come on a 8- or 32-relay module designed to connect to Siemens PLCs. Separate fuse modules are also available from Phoenix.

http://www.phoenixcontact.com/signal-level-matching/31257_30566.htm

Non-Disclaimer: I do not work for any of these companies !

Last edited:
Thanks lancie1

I will take that on board. You are probably right with the phoenix option. There are a lot of similar products around that I have found.