Factorytalk SE 5.0 Search for tags in graphics

Is there any way to search for tag usage within the graphics with Factorytalk SE?

I am used to using the tag cross-reference in WonderWare Window Maker to find tags used in windows and within the application.

Is there anything comparable for Factorytalk Studio?

Thanks!

I have never used factorytalk SE V5.0, but I have rsview studio SE V4.0, and there you only pick a part or a complete display in studio, then use right side mouse button and use "tag substitution" and you will see all the tags use in that portion or complete display.

Thank you very very much. I wound up having to log in to the customer help website with our Techconnect number, as opposed to just finding it in the knowlegebase. When I did a search of the standard KB, it showed no such ID. Once I logged on to the Techconnect portion, it showed up.

Well, it looks good, but when I try to open the tag cross reference, it crashes. I'll see if support can help me, but I'm not very optimistic. Guess there is a reason it is well hidden...

I haven't used FT View SE, but I'm gonna assume that it has the same Object Explorer window as ME. If you click the settings button in the highlight section, you can highlight graphics that use a certain tag. Only problem is you have to pick it, searching through your 400 tags again. At least it will tell you the object it is being used in, which a search and replace will not.

Well, documenter works for me in all ways except that the tag cross reference(the part I really need) crashes. Rockwell support said they can't duplicate my problem so it looks like a no go for me. It's 400 displays I need to search. About 20k tags.

The problem that I ran into was sometimes it would generate the xref sometimes it wouldn't. I also found that if tried to view the different sections it would cause it to lock up.

I did find that when I first opened a project, if I only checked the cross reference & allowed it to finish, then checked the project to select all my reports worked correctly every time.

Well, I tried waiting for a new version, and recently installed 2.4.0.0, but I get the same error. It is always on the same group of displays, so I figured out a cheat.

I renamed the pages to put them at the bottom of the list and started documenter. When it comes to them, it gives a recoverable error that the pages do not exist. As soon as it is past that, I rename them back to the original names, and documenter continues until another display cause crash. I figure that I could eventually get it to work, sort of...

The displays that cause the crash cause no errors when opened in View, and all of the functions work with no errors recorded in event logging.

Figured it Out!

Ok, played with it some more.

The pages that caused the crash all had the same global object in them. The global object was that of a PSV that had an elbow pointing either left or right. If the global object was used only once, or if the object was used more than once, but with the same valve from the object, then documenter worked fine.

If I used the global object twice, once with the left facing valve, and once with the right facing valve, the Tag Cross Reference would crash, as well as the Display cross reference. The global object itself would open up in Documenter with no errors.

I solved the problem by breaking the link for the left facing valve from the global object, so that the global object was only used once. I am now able to run Project Documenter with no errors.

These displays had hundreds of objects on them, and that global object, which was not animated was the only problem, and only when it was used twice with both of it's variations. Took me quite a bit of time and some luck to figure it out...

I have attached an export of the Global Object.

Thanks for the replies!

Oh, Project Documeter does not seem to give the cross-reference search capability of Wonderware. You still have to go to each display to see what tags are in them.

Last edited: