RSLINX Setup

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Is there a way to quickly type in the IP addresses in Linx under the Configure driver list for an Ethernet Device driver? Our network is growing to a point we need to structure it 100+ IP devices. Computer A has NODE 123 as a L35E but computer B has it as a 5/05. I just cringe thinking about manually typing in all of the addresses. I am hoping for an Excel (auto-numbering) system. I plan on backup and restore of Linx so all the computers are setup the same. I hope I am clear as to my intentions.

I set mine up in groups. In those groups, I put common I/p addresses. In my case I split them up by the vendor that did the work. I also manually start only the group I'm using. This saves a bunch of time.

George

Mine are in groups also - by customer. Windows cut/paste works to add IPs (somewhat). At least fewer characters need typed. Unlike George who indicated that only the desired driver is started, all of mine run all the timeand Linx so far has managed to sort through them without getting confused. What may help is I save the path in the plc file with Linx is not configured as a service.

Linx has a Backup and Restore configuration which might be used to transfer drivers and driver IPs (and groups) between computers. I use it when updating Linx so I'm not sure what it would do on the destination computer. Over-right the configuration I would expect.

tkemmann said:
...Linx has a Backup and Restore configuration which might be used to transfer drivers and driver IPs (and groups) between computers. I use it when updating Linx so I'm not sure what it would do on the destination computer. Over-right the configuration I would expect.

The backup and restore utility will allow you recreate all of the driver configuration on another PC. If they are connected to the same network, then the ethernet communications will work right away once restored. You will want to go in and manually change any node numbers for node based network drivers if, for example, you load the same configuration on two different PCs with DH+ cards and drivers, they each need unique node numbers assigned.

Guys I fell well away from this but we are back to it again. I have been given a 1022 addresses to span over my network we have broken the plant up by a range of IP addresses. Has anyone found a quick way to create node in Linx I will make seperate drivers for each range.

using the ethernet i/p driver can you not browse the network without entering the ip addreses, i think this only works if you are connected to the local subnet.

cheers

myles

You asked for a quick method; this probably isn't it!

Put a couple of nodes into the driver in the usual way. Open the registry and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\Drivers\AB_ETH\AB_ETH-1\Node Table

You can export this branch to a .reg file which you can then open with Notepad/Excel and use as a template for creating all your new nodes. Put all of the new nodes in between the ones that already exist because there's less chance of putting in invalid unicode that way. Save the file and import it, close and restart RSLinx and there you go.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\Drivers\AB_ETH\AB_ETH-1\Node Table

I can't find this in my system I tried C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLINX but could not find any HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE I know it is probably simple and I an just missing it.

Open the registry first: Windows Start-> Run...
then type "regedit" [ENTER].

BE VERY CAREFUL EDITING THE WINDOWS REGISTRY!

Paul

EDIT: A nod to NOP, that is a very ingenious method you came up with...Thanks!

Last edited:
I am going to ask this in another thread but I need help creating a Macro in excel to increase the numbering seq. I have never played with a macro so this will be a fun ride.

I don't know if you have the computer network structure for this, but you can use RSLinx Gateway to store the "master" config table on one machine that can act as an RSLinx server for other machines. This way your IP table is only stored in one place and once you have it entered you can update it in only one place and all machines that use it will instantly be up to date as well. If you have a fast network you can't tell the difference between this and a local table.

I have been given a 1022 addresses to span over my network

o_O That is quite a lot of A-B hardware !!

Are all these addresses required in RSLinx ? - or is this just a list of ALL ethernet addresses on your LAN ?. Or, to put it another way, do all of these IP addresses belong to A-B hardware, and need to be entered into RSLinx ?.