Ethernet Driver setup in RSLinx for PLC5/30

IdealDan

Hello Friends,

1. How can I connect to PLC5/30 via Ethernet (Rslinx)?. I have not worked on PLC5 before. is it same procedure as MicroLogix?

Which driver works better and easier? Ethernet Devices Driver (AB_ETH_1) or Ethernet/IP Driver (AB_ETHP_1) ?

2, Can Changes be made to ''Control Action'' (Direct Acting to Reverse Acting) in PID Instruction of PLC5/30 ONLINE?

Thanks in advance

Use the Ethernet devices driver and manually type in the IP address of the controller. The PLC-5/30 didn't support the discovery capability of the EtherNet/IP driver. I think in later series/revisions it was added, but to be sure, use the devices driver.

Yes, the DA/RA setting can be changed online.

OG

Use the Ethernet devices driver and manually type in the IP address of the controller. The PLC-5/30 didn't support the discovery capability of the EtherNet/IP driver. I think in later series/revisions it was added, but to be sure, use the devices driver.

Yes, the DA/RA setting can be changed online.

OG
OK, Thanks alot.

Please also tell me, after adding/configuring the Ethernet Devices Driver on the rslinx, is the Procedure below correct for going ONLINE with PLC5/30?

1. Comms>>Who active>>Go Online>search for the PDxx:xx (PID BLOCK)>>click "Setup Screen">>Configure>Control Action (then change PV-SP to SP-PV)?

2. How do I go to edit mode when ONLINE with PLC5/30?
3. After making the changes, how do I validate/save the changes to PLC Memory?

Please help, I just want to be double sure as this is a life Plant in a Hazardous location.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
So we are starting to get into a gray area. We on this forum generally do not recommend that someone unfamiliar with online editing wade into those deep waters. Particularly if you are working in a hazardous environment. We can cause more problems than we solve.

I would recommend getting a qualified engineer or PLC programmer on-site to make these changes. Too much can go wrong otherwise.

OG

So we are starting to get into a gray area. We on this forum generally do not recommend that someone unfamiliar with online editing wade into those deep waters. Particularly if you are working in a hazardous environment. We can cause more problems than we solve.

I would recommend getting a qualified engineer or PLC programmer on-site to make these changes. Too much can go wrong otherwise.

OG
No problems,

I can handle it. I only wanted to double check.

Since I have not worked on the OLD PLC5/30, that was why I asked stupid question. But not to worry.

Thanks

Last edited:
The PLC5/30 does not have an Ethernet port. Is there a side car Ethernet module?

The PLC 5's PID configuration changes can be fuzzy. Some changes can fault the controller (I know!!). I do not know if this change will do that though.

I would not take the chance unless you can tolerate a faulted controller.

HA!! That slipped right past me Mickey. Nice catch.

Yes, the 5/30 has a DH+ port and a serial port. The sidecar is a module that attaches directly to the PLC-5 controller and would physically take the next slot in the chassis. This sidecar added Ethernet to a non-Ethernet equipped PLC-5. It was not a very commonly used module in my experience. But it had its place.

OG

The PLC5/30 does not have an Ethernet port. Is there a side car Ethernet module?

The PLC 5's PID configuration changes can be fuzzy. Some changes can fault the controller (I know!!). I do not know if this change will do that though.

I would not take the chance unless you can tolerate a faulted controller.
There is actually.
There is also a switch, but I may just use serial cable, Com Port & Auto configure then go online.

Serial port can be very slow. Default speed was either 1200 or 2400 baud. Don't recall which it was. Could be increased, but that was the default.

Ethernet sidecar would use the Ethernet devices driver.

OG

Serial port can be very slow. Default speed was either 1200 or 2400 baud. Don't recall which it was. Could be increased, but that was the default.

Ethernet sidecar would use the Ethernet devices driver.

OG
Ok, Thanks Bro.

If I use Ethernet cable, I will have to remove the cable to Display (Vijeo Citect SCADA) Operator Workstation.
Will that alter communications after re-connection?

It won't alter the communications, however the HMI will lose communications which could affect data logging (impacting trending).

Ideally this thing would have gone through a switch so you won't have to unplug anything. Unfortunate it sounds as though they did not do so.

It is also possible that the PLC is monitoring communications with the HMI and might log some sort of alarm condition if communications are interrupted. Possible, not likely, but possible.

OG

You said there is a switch above. If so why do you need to disconnect the HMI?
There are other PLCs and Device all in the same network, I just want to be more careful to avoid something that is why I prefer direct connection with the PLC.

1. Another thing please, After changing the PID's control Action Parameter, Do I need to use the Reinitialize 'PID Instruction' Field?
2. If eventually, this change Faults the Processor, Is 'Clear Fault' function enough to get the Processor back to live?
3. If a Control valve indicates FULLY OPEN on the SCADA where as it is CLOSED at the Field can reversing the Control Action on the PID Instruction resolve this(Assuming valve has been verified to be healthy)?