Remote maintenance over the internet

Plc_User

Up to know we have always used Siemens modems (on analog telephone line) to do remote maintenance on our machines abroad.
But these things are rather slow (and expensive in use) especially when downloading larger panels.
We are looking for connection over the internet. As I heard you need VPN security. This should be something that the client would do : I think some configuration and or a program on their surver or a router with vpn functionality. In many cases it is a hard job to convince customers to do that. Isn't there an easier solition, like a router in the cabinet (that isn't too expensive), and if this would exist can this thing be plugged directly onto the plant network? A quick search on the internet showed me this datasheet :
www.spectrumcontrols.com/pdfs/webport/WP2005_4005_datasheet.pdf -

Anybody experience in this matter? Do you use internet remote service?
Thanks.

The point is that the client controls his plant network. There is generally a very good reason to secure a network and surreptiously opening a hole would put you in very hot water.

Work with your client's IT department. If they won't give you a way into the PLC, then you're stuck.

I use Siemens Box PC's with WinCC Flexible Smart Service Option. This puts a web page on the machine that you can use for service. It's very nice. Still have the same old problems getting on the customers network. VPN is about the only way to go for this.

What type of HMI do you have?

Siemens VPN

Hi,

I've done several VPN connections to work with Siemens PLC's. They work great. You can use SCALANCE S612/S613 if you can get a broadband connection or MD740-1 if broadband connection doesn't exists and there is a GPRS network available. The Siemens Softnet security client is limited, you can use instead it another VPN client for Windows calles "The Greenbow". It's inexpensive and works fine.

Kelkoon

Whatever you use to connect has to be vetted by the client and his IT department. One of our dial-up sites is a hospital; their IT people gave us the necessary VPN software to connect and took care of all the details. It is THEIR network, so work with them and do it THEIR way.