Siemens remote maintenance: notify customer that a connection is live

Franky_B

Hi all,

S7-1200/1500.

One of our customers wants to have a notification on the HMI that a connection is live via the remote maintenance modem (**** in our case).
Either via Sm@rtClient, TIA-portal, webserver.

The **** modem doesn't have an (hardware) output to signal an active connection .

Anyone had something at hand like this ?
How was it solved ?

Thanks in advance !

Kind regards,

Frank

It depends on which E.WON you have? Quite a few E.WONs do have IO but you not always easy to find. Otherwise E.WON Flexys can read data directly from an S7-1200, I don't know if it allows the E.WON to write to the PLC.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the reply,

We use another brand of modem (India X-ray Oscar November) which was masked (I'll guess) because I'm not a paying member.
That one has an input for blocking/allowing access but not an output for notifying.

Any suggestions ?

Kind regards,

Frank

Well, then the user could be the one who decides to block or allow remote access.
That is another way of doing it. Arguably better than letting the user know that someone is accessing.

As for smartaccess, on the operator panel the cursor changes when someone is taking control of the panel.

You would think that every type of communication would have a status word where heartbeat can be monitored.

Every Host system I have dealt with had the plc either send heartbeat or monitor heartbeat. then set a fault if heartbeat is not present.