Siemens S7/TIA v18: "Remote" updates/bug fixes to PLC code & HMI screens.....

Mas01

Siemens S7/TIA v18: "Remote" updates/bug fixes to PLC code & HMI screens.....

Hi,

The PLC application I'm working on will soon be delivered to the customer.

This will mean the physical PLC and associated hardware (HMI, all the IO hardware, sensors, etc) will also go to the customer site.

The customer has asked me "If we find some bugs, will you be able to investigate and do fixes from your office? Then travel here with a new version and install it for us?"

Due to my lack of knowledge, my initial response was "Errr, I'm not sure - because I'll no longer have the PLC, HMI or any other hardware. All I will have will be the TIA software and code. I'll look into it for you.."

I guess my question is: Is there a "simulation mode" in TIA that will allow me to simulate the PLC, IO interfaces, and the HMI screens to do some "offline/remote" investigation into bug-fixing?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
TIA I believe has plcsim not sure about the HMI & if it can connect to the plcsim.
I found the best way is to map the real I/O addresses to internal bits when creating the project, in seperate programs i.e. copy inputs to M bits & for outputs do the opposite then use those M bits in the program, For simulation just remove the calls to those blocks, create temporary programs for example take a valve with limit switches create logic like if valve is opened, delay time & set the open limit & vice versa, same with analogues you can create simulations of say a tank filling over time etc. although it is unlikely that you could simulate real world things it gives you a good start, when simulation is completed you just put back the mapping blocks & delete the simulation blocks. Some simulators have scripting so you can automate some things but they are usually basic so I tend to write them in the plc.

Yes, you can simulate the PLC and the HMI. Best get an e w o n or the like for site and then you can do updates from the office without having to travel to site.

TIA includes both PLCSIM and HMI simulation, with no extra licensing required*. There is a "Simulate" button in the tool bar (also menu under Online), you can select the PLC or HMI and then hit the button. There is a project setting to allow Simulation of the PLC at all. The first time you launch PLCSIM, you'll get a popup asking you to enable it, and then it'll need to compile again, and then you should be good to go.

PLCSIM + HMI simulation is great for testing to make sure HMI buttons work, and testing that code does what you think it should. Watch tables in Portal let you change whatever data you need. It can be a bit tedious if you need to simulate more complex IO interactions, though.

Notes:

• Even tho no license is required, PLC SIM is a separate install. It can be DL from the same page as the main portal install. It has it's own separate updates as well. You def want to make sure you install them.
  • that you may need to open up the PG/PC interface in your control panel and set it to PLCSIM(TCP/IP) if you want the simulated HMI to talk to the simulated PLC. If you want the simulated HMI to talk to a real PLC, then that's [your ethernet adapter here](TCP/IP)
  • The HMI Sim uses the PC based runtime, so there are subtle differences between how things look in the Simulation vs the actual device. region settings (how time is displayed, money sign, etc) are handled differently between Windows and the panels. Also, depending on your windows scaling settings and resolution, things like text might be a different size in Portal vs in simulation vs the device. I think 100% makes everything match, but depending on your monitor that can make other things in Windows almost unusable....

*for 1500 there is still regular free PLCSIM, but there is also a licensed PLCSIM Adv that does extra stuff like networking (everything but PNIO) and has an API for linking to 3D simulations.

If you have Teamviewer, then you can use it as a VPN gateway to the on-site PLC.
You need Teamviewer Host (*) on an on-site PC that is connected to the machine network, and Teamviewer full at your own location.
I have written this guide:
https://www.plcs.net/downloads/inde...w to setup Teamviewer VPN.pdf&directory=Misc&

Other options are:
a) A dediceted VPN Router like the E w o n that LD mentioned.
b) Customer provides a VPN connection to his network. Disadvantage for you is that you have to use his VPN software, which may collide with your own IT department.

*: Teamviewer Host is free to distribute if you have a full Teamviewer license. This makes it a costeffective option.

Last edited: