Program slc 5.03 via ethernet

Last edited:
Exiled-
I know there is a serial to ethernet converter that allen bradley makes- unfortunately it costs almost as much as an SLC-505 controller, so I took it back and just got a 505 processor. If you are just talking about downloading programs from PC to PLC, you can use a USB to serial converter. I have one and I liked it much better than trying to use the serial connections. AB Part # is 1747-UIC. Hope this helps ...

bro08170 said:
Exiled-
I know there is a serial to ethernet converter that allen bradley makes- unfortunately it costs almost as much as an SLC-505 controller, so I took it back and just got a 505 processor. If you are just talking about downloading programs from PC to PLC, you can use a USB to serial converter. I have one and I liked it much better than trying to use the serial connections. AB Part # is 1747-UIC. Hope this helps ...

??? Not cheap but hardly the same.

505price.jpg

1761price.jpg

The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter.

Last edited:
Rockwell has a program called "Step Forward". There are certin Items that they will give a discount on if you trade your old product in. They did it for me on some controlnet cards when I upgraded to ethernet. I looked into the net-eni cards when I wanted to use it on a micrologix and Rockwell said that the performance is not the same as a ML1100.

AB EtherNET Pricing

The pricing I was seeing (a year ago) was more like $1700 for the NET-ENI module and $2100 for a 1747-551 processor.

I am assuming that since you want to use Ethernet, you want to connect remotely. I have been using the Lantronix MSS-100 and it works well. I picked up 4 new ones at an auction, for peanuts so i couldn't pass them up. I think they are around $300. I'm not saying this is the best way, but for me it was. You have to make a cable but you can get the pinouts from their site.