SLC program size to Compact Logix

Dale87

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm trying to consolidate several slc500's to one 5069 L306er. SLC 500 program sizes are giving in words. And compact Logix controllers are sized in megabytes? So a 1 MB controller would be the same as a 500,000 word controller? Is that correct???

The SLC-500 OS is far more efficient with memory because of its more limited features and CPU power.

Trying to compare the RAM sizes of an SLC and a Logix really isn't too helpful, but for first impressions I've generally started by considering a 16K SLC-500 to be equivalent of a 384K or 500K CompactLogix, and a 64K SLC-500 to be equivalent to a 1 MB CompactLogix. I know: even my rules of thumb aren't linear !

Another approach is to run the SLC->Logix migration tool and estimate the memory usage for each program in Studio 5000 (it shows in the CPU Properties when you click the estimate button), and add those up.

There is a detailed SLC -> Logix migration manual, but it conspicuously omits a simple "this model of 1747-L5xx equals this model of 5069-L3xx" table.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm085_-en-p.pdf