How to set up a scada application on multiple PLC's

Mike66

Hi,

I'am relatif new whit the topic of OPC. Now a fase a challenge to bild a scada system for or production line(s). A production line consist of +/- 12 siemens plc's (siemens S5 (95,115,135) and S7 (3xx)). As for the scada app.i would like to use WIZCON V7.01 becaus i have that one in my office.
So my question is: How can i set up the netwerk so that the OPC server can access the data's in the several PLC's ?
(Serial, TCP/IP, Profinet,..)
Witch additionel hardware do i need to do so ?

Can anyeone help me out with this problem,

Gr. Mike66

Hi Mike

I am also new in OPC, but with some experience in communication.

Make a data layout in the PLC systems (1 data block with the information you want to collect + 1 data block with the information you want to send to PLC), so you don’t have to collect / send data in several data blocks / memory areas in the PLC. Copy the data to / from these blocks to the PLC program. This will give a fast data transfer for the system.

Find a common platform for the communication, so you don’t have many drivers in the OPC application.
For you collection of PLC systems to Ethernet, and I will go for the use of IBH S5 / S7 LINK for connection of the PLC to Ethernet. In this way you don’t have to buy expensive communication cards (don’t think you can get some for the S5 PLC systems)

This setup I have used on a project, where we was collecting production data from Siemens S5 95 / 115 + S7 3xx PLC systems

Link for IBH:
S5 link - http://www.ibhsoftec-sps.de/english/Selection_Hardware_S5.htm
S7 link - http://www.ibhsoftec-sps.de/english/Selection_Hardware_S7.htm

Seeing as the whole project is Siemens...do yourself a favor and use WinCC. No driver issues and it supports all the interface methods. Ethernet, Profibus, MPI. Just having a integrated database for the S7 variables is worth it's weight in gold.

Nick

I aggree with Nick.
But if you insist on Wizcon + OPC, it is certainly doable too.

You didnt specify EXACTLY the protocols to use, number of PLCs, etc.

Simatic Net supports OPC for all the protocols you need with possibly a few notable exceptions.
For AS511 and RK512/3964R protocols (which are used primarily with S5) you have to purchase a 3rd party OPC server from Kepware for example.
There is a Siemens "suite" that looks particularly fitting to your needs:
http://www.kepware.com/Products/Siemens_Suite.html
Notice that this suite does not support MPI or Profibus, but you didnt mention that you needed these Protocols.

As to the physical layout and setup of the OPC servers, you havent stated enough information yet.

Thanks for the reactions guys.
Nick and Jesper have a point about using Siemens WinCC but we have no WinCC app and money is a problem. We do have WinCCFlex, maybe it is possible to use this app in runtime as a scada application, it sertenly is not the ideal solution. The only cheep solution is to use the old Wizcon 7.01.
Jera, do yo have already used the "IBH Link S5" and s7 interfaces.
It seems for me a great solutions but does it work proberly.
The way i see it is that i use the interfaces on all my plc's, connect them all to a switch, than connect my pc with the wizcon and OPC Server to the same switch, configer the network and than i can go on whit collecting my data from the connected plc's.
Anather question, by setting up the netwerk like this, is it than possible to access the data on the internet. (My boss wil get mad when he can do things like that, it helps to get some mmanny)
Buy the way, do you now what the prise is for such a s5 interface?