DH+ network stuff 1784-pktx issue

RipandHamish

Hi everybody, this is my first post to this forum, and first of all I would like to thank everybody who reply to others posts as I and I'm sure others have found these very useful!.

Anyhow I have googled and search and my current issue seems to go unanswered, so here goes!!.

I am currently trying to sort out a network issue and introduce a SCADA setup for a friend of mine.
I have purchased a secondhand 1784-pktx pci card and installed it into a pc -- The card was recognised by windows on first install and prompted for the appropriate drivers to be loaded which I did and windows accepted ok in the normal way.

no problems here other than the fact that when you view hardward properties the pc says there is no driver loaded, but has allocated i/o, adresses and an irq to the card. I am assuming that the drivers load from out of RSlinx when necessary. There is no yellow cross in device manager.

The problem is in Rslinx, When I select the appropriate driver
and press the ok button and the pc resets immediatly.

I tried swapping the hardware link to 1 meg and windows does not allocate anything in device manager(just says there is a problem) needless to say I have put it back onto the 32bit setting.

There are also some utils on the rockwell site, I have tried these (with the linki in both positions) and the until does not see the installed card????

I am using win XP and RSlinx is v2.2

Am I doing somthing wrong?, is the card duff?
any help will be greatly appreciated

cheers

Martin

Greetings Martin ...

and welcome to the forum ...

I’ve got to leave in a few minutes and probably won’t be back today - but here is a question to help the other forum members with your problem ... is the figure below set up the way you’re trying to configure your interface card? ...

pktx.JPG

I am assuming that the drivers load from out of RSlinx when necessary.

survival tip: you (the programmer) must assign the driver in RSLinx ... specifically, it doesn’t just do it automatically ... more specifically, this end of the rope is NOT “Plug-and-Play” ...

and here is a link to the User Manual in case anyone needs it ...

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1784-um527_-en-p.pdf

wish I had more time to play ...

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the reply. I had already selected the driver that you have ringed. However in the driver setup I do have the option of pktx only ktx which i select then hit ok then .....reset.
This is on the pc with rslinx 2.2 I checked on my laptop which has rslinx 2.43 and that does have the option.
So the search for the rslinx disc starts and is still running!!!
in the mean time I copies the rslinx folder(from program files) from my laptop via usb key and placed in the place of the rslinx 2.2 folder.
I was guessing this would not run but it did!!
fired up into rslinx 2.43 with the setting that my laptop had in it.
So select the pktx option press ok and this time it did not reset, however the hour glass didnt go either had to power the pc off in the end as even control alt del would not work or the mouse!!!

so back to looking for the disc and I hopr that will cure the problem.

Intesting point though.. The utils provided by rockwell for the pktx card do not see the card either?
I shall do battle more tommorrow

Thanks anyhow.

Martin

PKTX Card Installation Problem

I think i am posting a message to very old post but sad to say i am having the same problem with my PKTX card, it was working fine never had problem, But after few days my PC windows got problem so i had to reinstall it. After reinstallation now the computer is no more loading the drivers. However if i go into the Device manager, then i find the card there, right click update driver, give the location of drivers on my RSLinx setup folder, it loads the drivers and shows the message" windows has successfully installed the drivers" but when i go into properties of the pktx card in the device manager, it shows there are no drivers installed even though there is no Yellow question mark on it.

In Rslinx, when i try to configure the driver for my Pktx card, it shows error "error initializing the device/card due to..(don't remember the exact message),

I tried installing the card in other computer but same problem there,
PS: I am using Rslinx 2.52

retire the PKTX - (or PMCK) card ...

I had to swap out my "old-faithful" XP machines in my classroom about a year ago - and the new laptops don't have a slot for the PCMK card that I'd been using for years ...

now I use a "ControlLogix Gateway" setup to make a connection to the DH+ network ...

basically I go through a 1756-ENBT module (etc.) to reach the ControlLogix backplane - then go out through a 1756-DHRIO module to reach the DH+ network ...

if you have those two communications modules in a ControlLogix chassis, then you don't even have to involve a ControlLogix processor in the hookup ...

NOTE: I don't always keep up with the "latest and greatest" methods - but this solution has worked for me - and I'm sure that some other forum member will let us both know if there's a better method now available ...

Last edited:
Pktx

Thanks for answering.
Problem is i have neither of these...pcmk, 1756-dhrio and 1756-ENBT. So basically i am stuck with pktx (DH+) or Rs232 to connect to my PLC 5/40L processor.

For some unknow reason channel 0 of controller is no more working. I assume any damaged cable has broken the port. That's why my last resort to have access to the controller is through DH+.

For some unknow reason channel 0 of controller is no more working. I assume any damaged cable has broken the port.

personally I'd work REALLY hard at trying to get that connection working - before I grasped at the DH+ straw ...

why don't you tell us more about your problem with the Channel 0 port ... what have you tried so far along those lines? ...

The case is i have 5 or six PLC5 controller installed here. A month or two before i went on leave. In those one controller showed some communication problem and the technicians get swapping cables etc. It happened then that now two controllers Port 0 is not working.

I thought it would be a cable fault so i took the controller in seperate chassis for testing. It didn't work, changed pc, changed cable but vain. With same pc and cable other controllers work fine. I checked the toggle switches they are also good. After doing all this troubleshooting now i assume this port is damaged.

After knowing i can't get them commnicating i started considering other options e.g DH+ port.

Besides DH+ i am also working on RS.422 option, because i think in the controller there are seperate IC's for RS232 and RS422. So i bought a RS232 to RS422 converter, changed the channel 0 setting to RS422, however so far it didn't work. Maybe i have to dig more to study RS422 null modem settings.

Besides DH+ i am also working on RS.422 option, because i think in the controller there are seperate IC's for RS232 and RS422. So i bought a RS232 to RS422 converter, changed the channel 0 setting to RS422, however so far it didn't work. Maybe i have to dig more to study RS422 null modem settings.

You don't need a RS232 to RS422 converter at the PLC side if you have the dip switches set correctly for RS422. See pdf for pinout.

What are you trying to connect to the serial port?

Micky,
I am trying to simply connect my controller to PC. Problem is my two controller's channel 0 ports are not functioning for some reason

Micky,
I am trying to simply connect my controller to PC. Problem is my two controller's channel 0 ports are not functioning for some reason

I can't help with a bad port.

I don't know about the internal electronics of that PLC, maybe the more knowledgeable AB gurus will jump in.

suggestion:

post the ENTIRE program file (RSP extension) from one of the processors that won't connect through the Channel 0 port and let us take a look at it for you ...

reason:

the Channel 0 port can be "configured" (under the Channel Configuration feature) for different baud rates - and other communication modes ... maybe your guys changed those settings and maybe that's all that's keeping the port from working ...

note that you'll have to ZIP the file before you post it ...

note that there are some old-fashioned coots around here (including me) who will not access your file from a "cloud dropbox" etc. for security reasons ... you'll get more attention if you just post the zipped RSP file as an attachment to this thread ...

I am also trying to get my pktx card install. May be you can help with that.

a LOT of details about installing that card have a LOT to do with the specific computer that you're installing it in ... such as which memory allocations are available - or have already used - and so forth ... in other words, one size does not fit all - and a LOT of plain old experimentation is always involved ... we can offer general suggestions - but it's impossible to give DETAILED answers from where we are ...

Last edited:
Unfortunately thats the only thing i can't do :( because i am unable to get online with processor. And there is no other source. On top of that, said controller is in line and running in plant. If anything happened battery etc, program in it would be erased.