Cad software

gulf project

G
I'm looking for a CAD Package to produce electrical wiring diagrams.

Can anybody advise which is the best to get ?

Many thanks

Please join the forum. Do not remain anonymous.
You can use virtually any CAD software. ACAD LT is fine, Design CAD, Turbo CAD. I am in Australia and use a local product Caddsman.
You only require 2D so the requirements are not very high. Just make sure you can develop and store libraries. Some other things that are important:
1. Ability to import and export dwg (ACAD) files.
2. Ability to insert graphic objects as clients often supply a standard graphic logo in jpg or some other standard file format for insertion into the drawing.
beerchug

If you need it for Circuit Diagrams only, AC-LT is enough.

Put: design is more than circuit diagrams. In my procedure, Circuit diagrams are the last part of designing. I have to know everything else as field devices, locations, functionality, HMI, fieldbuses, interfaces, manufacturers, cabeling US/Other World standards.....

All for that, database is good help for data handling, linking to drawings, BOM produce etc. I have done own CAEE-system with integrated database. Now I'm waiting for new release of RM-Basic from TransEra Corporation, maybe after that I can sale it for someone else.

Have a look at ELCAD 7

This package will produce electrical circuit diagrams as well as parts list and cross references.

The web site is www.aucotec.de

There is a demo download available; it is a full working version but limited to 6 pages.

Regards,

You 've got to look at "Electrical Designer" from aceri ( An AutoCAD developer ) i.e. they work with AutoCAD rather than integrate like some add on software. Bit pricey but seriously good with changeovers to various standards with the click of a mouse. I'd recommend it for medium to large projects. Dosen't quite justify the initial expense in my opinion if you only do small 10 page or less documents unless you do a lot of them.http://www.aceri.com/index.htm

other than that the guys are right with the right starting point autoCAD Lt utilising blocks etc is fairly standard out there

Mylo

Electrical CAD

For electrical diagrams, panel layouts, bill of materials, etc..., I found that VIA WD is the best wiring program out there.

VIA WD will substantially reduce the amount of time required to draw electrical diagrams vs. using just AutoCAD.

VIA WD was originally put out by VIA Developement but is now owned by AutoDesk. They sell a package bundle of the latest version of AutoCAD and VIA WD for a decent price.
:D

I'd like to thank everbody for there input with this thread.

Regards

Steve

Drawing Software

Ive had some exposure to a number of different programs.

There are two types really. CAD based (drawing info in cad with attached data and Database (data driven with drawing engine). The bonus with the latter is the BOM's, crossref's etc.

As most electrical drawings are pretty simple I have found that the Database driven system does it for me.

Having worked with a recent project with 3800 pages of electrical schematics I found EPLAN suited the project to a T.

Also looked into a program called ELECDES. This is an addon to a full release of ACAD but works pretty well.

Both of these options are at the pricy end of the marked so unless you are doing large runs stick to ACAD, ACADLT or whatever program you normally draw with.

Regards

Carl