RsLogix 5000 v17 Released

Does 17 require the "Factory-Talk Activation" ?

I'm looking to now move away from Rockwell Products because of that garbage, and that coming from a nearly 100% Rockwell Site.

AJZ said:
What is new in V17?
See this thread on mrplc.com: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=14674

rdrast said:
Does 17 require the "Factory-Talk Activation" ?

I'm looking to now move away from Rockwell Products because of that garbage, and that coming from a nearly 100% Rockwell Site.
If it is a new activation, it probably will. If you already have RSLogix licenses then probably not. I don't think they are forcing you to use it if you already have a master-disk style activation present.

Besides that, what problems have you had? I've activated quite a few things with the FactoryTalk method and haven't had any difficulty.

Last edited:
pandersen said:
See this thread on mrplc.com: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=14674

If it is a new activation, it probably will. If you already have RSLogix licenses then probably not. I don't think they are forcing you to use it if you already have a master-disk style activation present.

Besides that, what problems have you had? I've activated quite a few things with the FactoryTalk method and haven't had any difficulty.

FactoryTalk Activation just plain SUCKS. All of our big HMI's here are FTView SE, and now they require FT Activation. Which means, I can't keep spares ready and loaded to go. It also means, that I have to switch their IP's around to enable them to get to the internet (HUGE NO-NO for our HMI Systems), or be bothered with the hassle of writing down a bunch of numbers and trying to find someone to call on the other end.

Besides, why should I even want to have to run yet MORE undesired services on my systems? FTA Server? FTA Client? FTA-Can-Kiss-My-A**.EXE!

I'm currently looking to switch to other HMI/SCADA software vendors that don't use such a PITA activation scheme.

rdrast said:
FactoryTalk Activation just plain SUCKS. All of our big HMI's here are FTView SE, and now they require FT Activation. Which means, I can't keep spares ready and loaded to go. It also means, that I have to switch their IP's around to enable them to get to the internet (HUGE NO-NO for our HMI Systems), or be bothered with the hassle of writing down a bunch of numbers and trying to find someone to call on the other end.

Besides, why should I even want to have to run yet MORE undesired services on my systems? FTA Server? FTA Client? FTA-Can-Kiss-My-A**.EXE!

I'm currently looking to switch to other HMI/SCADA software vendors that don't use such a PITA activation scheme.
I'd say that FTA server/client is a good thing. You store all licenses on a central server, then when some Rockwell software needs a license, it grabs it from the server. Easy to backup and keep track of. No HMIs accessing internet necessary, either.

How do you currently manage transferring licenses off of your dead HMIs to the ready-to-go replacements?

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rockwellautomation.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=37686

edits: oops, spelling

Last edited:
I was able to install and run V17/Linx 2.54 on XP and Vista PCs without FT activation. Still using Master disk

I have only one gripe about version 16, but its a big one.

When I open online books and open a reference manual, I'm locked into the RSLogix 5000 resource center. The PDF manual opens in a frame in the reource center and as far as I can see I can't enlarge it to a full screen, nor can I see a way to seperate it from the L5K app. I run dual moniotors and its nice to put L5K on one monitor and my cad files and refence manuals on the other monitor. As it is I can't even enlarge it so these eyes that are starting to get get old can easily read it. Yes, I can zoom the PDF in the frame but then I have to scroll side to side. Quite frankly its a royal pain in the ***.

Does V17 offer any improvement on that front?

I downloaded V17 but haven't installed it yet.