ge 90/30 messaging

caskeys

I'm tring to share m bit in two plc's and cannot find how to do it. it works fin in the AB slc 5/04's but cannot figure out how to get ge to do that.

Thanks
Scott

More info please.

What CPU are you using?

What are you communicating over?

What software package are you using?

plc's are 90/30 374's

ethernet connection
on same subnet

Proficy Machine Edition v5.60 sim 9 build 4083

Look up "Ethernet Global Data" or EGD in the help files.

What you'll need to do is setup exchanges that Produce data or Consume data. These exchanges are not instructions in the ladder logic, they are part of the configuration of the program.

When you setup EGD you'll stipulate if it is producing data or consuming data. You'll also specifiy the %m, %r,... addresses that you want to read/write data too. You can have multiple EGD exchanges setup.

I always reserve memory for communications within my program, maybe %M1000 - %M2000 and %R5000 - %R6000 for example. I then move data to those locations in my program as needed for communications.

It is a good idea to researve memory in your program for communications to keep things organized.

That was just a quick overview, read the help files and search the forums for more info. Come back when you hit anothe road block :)

I'll add a bit more...

In the EGD configuration you'll also specify the IP addresses of each PLC that is talking.

If PLC 1 is producing data and PLC 2 is consuming the data
PLC 1's program would have to have an exchange setup as a producer. In the configuration the IP address of PLC 1 would be specified as the "Producer" and the "consumer" would be setup with the IP address of PLC 2.

PLC 2's program would have an EGD exchange configued as a consumer, specifing it's IP address as the "consumer" and PLC 1's IP address as the "producer".

I don't have Proficy installed right now, so I don't remember all the specific details, sorry.....

Thanks that is exacly what I needed I had no idea where to start looking on the ge side. That is the information i was looking for.