1756-MVI Functionality ?

Bob A.

Lifetime Supporting Member
OK Guys, To set the stage, I have used Channel 0 in User Mode to talk to all sorts of serial devices (mostly PLC5 Family). Now the task is to interface with multiple measuring systems that will output numeric values over a RS485 port (could be 5 or so devices).

The objective is to make a series of multiaxis measurments and to then make a determination of some overall sizes that then get sent to a parent system over ControlNet.

I'm thinking of a ControlLogix system with a series of 1756-MVI modules to get the measurements into the system and a ControlNet Bridge to send it to the Level 2 system.

Any comments are welcome, but specifically, I'm wondering how much development to expect to be required to take the strings coming from the various measuring systems and to parse out the actually numeric values and stick them into a floating point tags in the processor to do the math.

I'm a ladder logic programmer, not C, etc. but my son can help with the C++.

So am I on a reasonable track ?

Thanks for any help!

Best Regards,

Bob A.