ControlLogix Profibus Scanner Recommendations:

sthompson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi All:

I have an application where I need to communicate to an Alchohol Meter via Profibus DP from a ControlLogix PLC. I would appreciate recommendations for the best scanner for the job. It will primarily be data transfers. I don't know at this point if there will be any Discrete I/O. I don't believe so, because the meter has it's own processor that is supposed to handle all the grunt work. I am currently looking at the Woodhead/Brad Communications, and the ProSoft. Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Stewart Thompson

I have used the Pro-Soft. Works great and their phone support is top notch. They have a new configuration tool that I like much better than using Notepad and Hyperterminal.

I have heard good things about the Woodhead stuff too though.

RSL

Woodhead bought out the company previously called SST.
They make excellent hardware, and even better software.
They are local to Ontario Canada, which I really think is a good thing.
You would probably have a branch office in Vancouver.

Help is only a phone-call away, and the tech's are extremely knowlegable.

User interface is really easy, pull all of your Profibus data into the cards, read directly from the contrologix rack data IO.
I have a system that currently uses 3 cards in one rack. Never had any issues thus far.

Give them a look-see, they are on the net under Woodhead.

Stewart,

How is Vernon my favorite little city. I have used the SST version and it works ok. Word of warning unlike Siemens and other products I don't think their software checks the GSD for allowable settings. I had a customer I had to bail out a few years back because he tried running some devices at 12MEG. Well half of them only supported 1.5M and the software did not give a warning. It just happily accepted settings and nothing worked right.

Only after I dropped the GSD into Step 7 did I notice the problem...things might be better now.

Nick

Nick, sThompson is interested in using a PROFIBUS compatible card in a Controllogix Rack, NOT Siemens. So your advice about the S7 is not really applicable.

SST cards run flawlessly in AB Ctrlx Racks, to my experience.