Touch panels and PLCs

Shohadawy

I'm a newbie to the world of touch panels . I need to know how to make the addressing to enable the PLC to write to and read from the touch panel.

For example, if the user will enter a numerical value which should be assigned to a register in the PLC. How can write the address to store the value in the register .

You don't do very much. The read/write between HMI and PLC is automatic. In the HMI, define your variables. The HMI updates all the variables in the background.

In most cases the HMI is the initiator of all communications, actively reading from and writing to PLC registers. If the protocols are implemented properly in the HMI programming package the addressing will be the same as in the PLC.

bernie_carlton said:
In most cases the HMI is the initiator of all communications.

Is it just me or do you find this a hard concept to get across to people. I can't tell you how many times I've had the discussion describing how the HMI is the "master" of the communications.

People just can't seem to get over the idea that because they think the PLC has all the smarts that it should be the master..

ndzied1 said:
Is it just me or do you find this a hard concept to get across to people. I can't tell you how many times I've had the discussion describing how the HMI is the "master" of the communications.

People just can't seem to get over the idea that because they think the PLC has all the smarts that it should be the master..

Just tell them to look at it this way...

The PLC doesn't know what data it should 'Push' TO the HMI, the HMI has to ask for very specific data FROM the PLC.

ndzied1 said:

An even harder concept to get across is the way most HMIs handle data entry, particularly if there are two sources of data. It is hard to convince many folks that the HMI only writes the new data once when the "enter" key is pushed and from then on just reads the actual PLC register.

mordred said:
There is no way we can help you without knowing the make and model of the PLC and touchscreen

I'm using a touch screen that have the model EXTER T100 and a PLC from Altus company with a model PL104/R