ControlLogix and Danfoss Freq. Converter over EthernetIP

juan.araujo

Hello,

I have a ControlLogix L62 and need to communicate to some Danfoss FC300 drives over Ethernet.
Is it possible to establish this communication to control and read status using the Message Instruction ?

Thanks.

Juan

Contrologix to Danfoss

I will try to answer you question the best that I can.

You can bet you can do this with a Compaclogix or Contrologix platform to an Allen Bradley Drive. The AB drive recognizes communications from these platforms.

I could not find the documentation for the Danfoss FC300. I doubt if they have the AB messaging like you suggested using. My doubt would be erased if I could get my hands on technical literature for that drive. So the doubt remains.

The ENBT (ethernet bridge) is intended for RSLOGIX communications, communications for tag exchange (like Wonderware) or an HMI or for the messaging between processors and other AB equipment. It is not intended for different protocols like Modbus. I suspect your Danfoss can talk one of these protocols like Modbus. In that case a Prosoft Module in the Contrologix could be set up to talk to the Danfoss drive.

I tried to get the tech info on the Danfoss but couldn't. Don't know if this negative reply helps or not but I would think a Prosoft module may be your answer. One more thing the RS232 port of a Contrologix CPU (DF1) can talk modbus as a slave. Here is the link to Prosoft. I use them all the time.
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/

It is very easy to setup, the manual the widelto posted gives the example for a generic ethernet module in the Rockwell world.

May pay to speak to tech support re. firmware versions, we have had a few problems with a current project. pm me if you would like more information.

Hello,

I'm having problem communicating with this setup. In controllogix, once in a while, I'm getting a communication lost on the Danfoss FC302 and connection is restored again.

Any idea what what I can try?

TIA!

Is power being cycled to the FC300's that are causing the problems? We had firmware issues, and became more evident when power was cycled to certain drives.

Have you consulted your local tech support, if any?

Well, while contemplating blowing up the FC302, I look on my lab and have a spare managed ethernet switch lying around. So I decided to switch the switch I was using with this managed switch and everything was fine. Guess it could be a bad switch or a bad port on the switch.

Thanks all!

How many drives were you running on the one switch ?

Did you enable "IGMP Snooping and querying" on the managed switch ?

I would still be inclined to check with Tech support re the firmware version.

We had to go back to Denmark on this before they confirmed there was a problem. I guess it depends on when your E/IP cards were made available.

Our issue was evident when power was being cycled to the drives, on bootup, sometimes the option card was not recognised.

I didn't do anything to the managed switch. Just powered up the switch and plug in the ports. I just wanted to try something to solve the problem and it did.