2 "s5 95u" plc's to 1 touchpanel

tonny

Hi everyone, i've got a little problem here.

I need to connect a "mp 270 10inch touchpanel" on 2 "s5 95u" plc's.
There is no profibus or something... there is only "sinec L2".

I need to read and write data from the 2 plc's and visualise it on one touchpanel.

I thought to connect the 2 plc's to one s7 plc en then I will connect this to a touchpanel.Is this possible? :confused:

I know it's old stuff, but can someone help me with this?

greetz Tonny

Here is the manual for a S5-95U with a SINEC-L2 interface:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/1091429

But I am afraid that the protocol "S5-DP", which you can chose for the MP270, is not the same as "SINEC-L2".

If things dont work out, I would seriously consider to exchange the S5-95U PLCs for something newer. These things are totally obsolete !
Even if you manage to get the MP270 connected to the S5-95Us, I strongly recommend you to start planning the exchange.

thanks for the info. 🍻

but first i`m gonna try to communicate them with eachother.
they already connecting with the sinec L2 bus termimals.
but the sinec l2 mainstation is broken.

is it possible to communicate the plc`s only with the bus terminals?

i found a fiew options in the manual: "plc to plc" or "cyclic I/O".Is the sinec L2 mainstation neccesary here?

greetz Tonny

The bus terminals are just "drops" on the Profibus line. They are passive anyway.

What I find not so promising is that there are no samples for a panel connected to a 95U via SINEC-L2.
Dont put your hopes too high that it can work.

One idea:
Setup one 95U as master, the other 95U as master. Exchange the necessary data via cyclic I/O.
Then connect the MP270 to the master 95U via the TTY port, and get the data for both 95U stations that way.
This is an awful cludge, but could work until get a more future-proof system setup.

this is what i wanted to do
but don`t you mean the other as slave?

can I write data in de slave? or only read?

greetz Tonny

Yes, I meant one 95U master, the other 95U slave.

I assume it works the same as DP master-slave. And if that is so, then yes you can both read and write in both directions.

The master is just the one that acts as the mailman.

There were actually 5 versions of the 95U...the standard one with a single port, one with a 2nd serial port, one with an L2-DP Master port, one with an L2-DP Slave port, and one with a peer-to-peer L2 port. You had to buy the one with the port functionality that you required. If you have the L2 port version you can send/receive data between them without a Master/Slave relationship.

Later versions had the L2 designation changed to Profibus.

Last edited:
thanks for the extra info rob,

but for the touchpanel ... I think the master/slave solution.o_O

greetz Tonny