DH+ advice for networking novice

naegely

Any advice will be appreciated.

I have the following 2 pieces of production equipment:

-Machine 1 (encapsulation) has an SLC 5/04 (1747-L542B), and a PV1000 standard (2711-T10C8), communicating via DH+

-Machine 2 (dryer) has an SLC 5/04 (1747-L541), and a PV600 standard (2711-B6C8), communicating via DH+

In as simple terms as possible, what do I have to do to get these 4 nodes on the same DH+ network? Eventually I will need to connect a PC to the DH+ network to collect data with an OPC server (Matrikon AB driver)

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Step 1: Audit the system and obtain the DH+ Node assignments.

If they are all unique, proceed to step 2, otherwise correct this and make unique assignments.

Step 2: Connect the two DH+ networks together - be sure that you are using series connection, not star topography. Use station connectors for best results.

Step 3: Ok there isn't a step 3 because you have connected the two together. You could of course use RSLinx to look that all nodes are visible on the single network.

Ensure that all four devices have unique node numbers. If you find two or more duplicate node numbers, you may be required to change your HMI program comms settings to match your new node numbers.

Ensure that both networks are set up at the same baud rate.

Connect the four devices in a daisy chain fahion, with terminating resistors only installed at each end node, and don't exceed the specifications for length.

That's about it...DH+ is very easy to work with and it should not present any major hurdles.

Paul

That's it...

Beautiful, thanks guys. It sounds too easy.

If I understand right, this is all I have to do:

- I'll re-number the nodes 2-5
- Remove termination resistors from the 2 SLC 5/04 and leave the existing termination resistors on the 2 Panelviews.
- Run a Belden cable between the 2 PLC's

Is that about it?

A few more questions:

- Does the node numbering need to match the order in which the devices are daisy chained?

- What would happen if a termination resistor was mistakenly installed at an intermediate node?

-What would happen if 82 ohm resistor was used when comms were set at 57.6K (or a 150 ohm for 230.4K)

Thanks again,

Rob

naegely said:
- Does the node numbering need to match the order in which the devices are daisy chained?
No, the only thing that matters is that they are all unique.

naegely said:
- What would happen if a termination resistor was mistakenly installed at an intermediate node?
The termination resistor is for the end of the network. I don't know what would happen if it were in the middle... But I would guess it would be one of two possibilities (1) It would work fine, or (2) you would see nothing beyond the termination resistor.

naegely said:
-What would happen if 82 ohm resistor was used when comms were set at 57.6K (or a 150 ohm for 230.4K)
Dunno... Unless there is a really, really good reason to set either DH+ or RIO to any speed other than the out-of-the-box default, I don't change it. Put 'em all on the default speed, use the right resistor and don't worry about it.
Depending on your DH+ network (if everything else is setup correctly, you'd actually be better off with no resistors than a resistor in the wrong place or the wrong resistor.