Tablet PCs as HMI

Hey all. Just curious, has anyone used a tablet PC as a portable HMI? Im going to be trying it using wonderware soon, and wondered what the collective experience has been with them.

matt

Haven't used a tablet pc, but we do have a project in the works using the Panasonic Toughbook wireless display

It runs windows ce and we remote desktop into the RSViewSE server to acess the HMI screens. It's smaller and easy to carry around, works very well. But if you need to run your entire WonderWare application on a stand alone system I'd consider the Panasonic Toughbook 19 a bit bulky but should be up for the abuse it will see. The only downside is you really need multiple computers/displays/batteries as eventually the batteries will die at the most convienent time, or it takes a fall into something nobody wants to put their hands in, so it just adds more to the cost of the project.

The PC im using, while not ruggidized (one on my concerns) is actually a little smaller and lighter than the wireless display you linked, while packing full laptop power. My other concern is the wireless network. Even tho it is 802.11N, im concerned about range and security (it will be secure, but how long will the end user keep it that way?). This is actually a second system that im throwing in as an experminet, and the system will have a completly function desktop HMI as well. Would love to hear stories about their use, loss, problems, successes. Thanks again

matt

I have a project that uses tablet pcs. There are 4 tablet pcs, 3 desktop pcs, and 1 server. There are 3 plants, in each plant there is a desktop pc and a wireless access point, the server is located in one of the plants. The server was running Wonderware Terminal Services, the tablet and desktop pcs used remote desktop to run the application. The operators can use their tablets in any of the plants through the wireless access point. The server is also connected to the internet, so the operators can connect to the internet with their tablets over their cellular phone, make a VPN connection to the server and then remote desktop to run the application.

They are using these tablets - http://www.xploretech.com/index.pl?id=2273&isa=Category&op=show

Last edited:
I have used a tablet PC with FactoryPMI. To address your question, you shouldn't have any problems with any HMI/SCADA package - just use WinXP. Test your wireless capabilities on a laptop first. Smooth operation depends on a robust data connection.

In some cases a PDA may be more suitable for your needs. Keep in mind that while most vendors support this technology, you won't get anywhere near the capabilities on WinCE or PalmOS as a regular HMI. In most cases you'll need to purchase additional software and configure a separate view/project. Obviously, the extent of extra work/purchase will vary by vendor.