RSview 32 tag name

learner

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I am using RSLOGIX 5000 (version 16) and RSVIEW 32(version 5). I have a lot of instruments and motors that require a lot of tags in PLC and HMI.

I heard that I cannot have dot (.) in my PLC tags name for the HMI objects i.e (motor.command.run)because the HMI software does not accept dots (.) in the tag names.

If this is true I will be in big trouble because instead of using user define tags(UDT),instead, for every single motor I should type a tag name in CONTROLLER tag page for HMI objects.

I contacted rockwell and some technicians say this issue was with the older version of RSVIEW32 and some of them say you can't have a dot(.)in the HMI tag name.

I personally find it really hard, time consuming and stupid to type a tag for every single HMI object in PLC program.

I'm sure there is a smart way to deal with this problem.

Could you please haelp?

Regards

Learner

I did this a while ago and hence do not remember the specifics. There is a "Logix5000 Tag Import Tool" bundled with RSView32. All you need to do is to save your RSLogix program as a .L5K file and then import tags into RSView32 directly by using the Tag Import Tool. I am pretty sure this tool allows you to import UDTs too. Give it a shot. If it doesnt work, I shall try this myself and figure it out.

When I need to do a lot for changes or additions to an RSView32 project I will export the tag database to a CSV file and do all my edits in Excel (or any other spreadsheet you like). You can add or edit tag quite easily.

After you are done the edits save it as a CSV and import it to your project.