RSWho

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a strange problem and I am not sure if anyone can help.

We originally had 2 networks of PLCs on ethernet.

On each network we had a 192.168.0.109

Network A 192.168.0.109 = SLC 505

Network B 192.168.0.109 = Panelview plus

We changed the address of the SLC 505 to 192.168.0.220 and then joined the networks together through a Hirschmann “Mice” switch.

When using RSLinx EthernetIP driver connected to a network we see the RSWho window flick between SLC and PV+ for the 109 address.

I am not sure if the Hirschmann is trying to cache the old address and description for 109 or if RSLinx is trying to do the same. (We have done the obvious of deleting and recreating a EthernetIP driver)

Regards Alan Case

Alan,

Can you ping both of the new I/P addresses successfully? Also, what if you unplug one at a time and look what you get then through RSLinx.

George

I like to use the Ethernet Device driver for permanent connections too but the Ethernet/IP driver should be fine. Start with the basics, can you ping both of them?

Hi. We have no trouble seeing both the items on the network and at present the factory is using the Ethernet driver and all is working well. (ie the panelview is displaying data and the 505 is communicating to the RSView) It is only when you start an IP driver in RSLinx that you see the description of the 109 node alternate between a PV and a 505 (in the IP RSWho window).
Regards Alan Case

From the RSWho window, select the ethernet driver and hit DELETE. This deletes the history of the driver (all "discovered" devices) but not the driver itself. Rebrowse the network and see what re-appears.

If the driver disappears just close the RSWho window and reopen and it will reappear.

OG

Hi. We have deleted the driver multiple times and it doesnt matter which connected computer you use to browse the network you get the same result.
Regards Alan Case

Hmm, if you do a arp -a from the command line (DOS) which MAC address does it return? Do it several times just to be sure.

OG

btw...congrats on your 1000th post!

Have you tried stopping RSLinx then deleting the harmony files which are normally in
C:\Program files\Rockwell Software\RSCOMMON\Harmony

I believe these are cache that get rebuilt

I'm not certain that deleting the driver will do what I suggest. It may.....not sure. I'm not looking to delete the driver so much as the history of what the driver has discovered.

By deleting the history of what devices it has discovered, it has to go rebuild that info entirely. It may be that if you delete the driver and then recreate it, but never go back to the RSWho window that the history is retained somehow. I don't have the equipment to test at the moment. I would also guess that if you use a different name after recreating the driver that it has to rebuild the info.

Just spitballing!!! I think the switch may be the culprit too. If possible, can you perform a reset on the switch?

OG

Last edited:
Hi OG.
I didnt even notice I reached a 1000 posts. I must get a life.
I will try dleting the history, the harmony files and maybe recreating it with a different name.
Thanks. Alan