what is server

panthripu

can you people just explain what exactly the server is the function of server in level -1 automation and server for HMI.I am confused.

Start by defining your terms. I don't know what you mean by "level -1 automation"...

Then -- what does a server do? How might it be used in each of those functions?

server

well, i am quite new in automation.we have some siemens PLC connected throught ethernet to eachother and there is a server.Also for all HMI there is a server.What exactly is it?

A server typically serves clients. What it serves depends on its function: is it a data server, an alarms server, an event server....?

Without more info there's absolutely nothing we can tell you exactly, we can only give hints and guesses.

Kind regards,

Hello Panthripu;

The term "server" is always associated with the term "client", as in server-client architecture.
Think of it as when you go to a restaurant; you are the client. The maitre d' shows you a menu that contains everything you could choose from in his establishment (this is the function of the server, he is here to serve you the data/screens/trends/historical archive that you need).As a client you select only what you need at that time; you can come back and order more later...
If your SCADA application is created in a server, all the graphic screens, the communications with the plant PLCs, the trends and data are stored on that machine, generally a powerful PC with Server software as operating system and server licenses from your SCADA provider.
The client machines can then be much less powerfull beasts, because they only communicate with the server to request the data they need to shhow now on their screen; they do not access the PLCs for data. When, on the client machine, you want to display the Plant Overview screen, you are actually requesting this screen info from the server, and the data/animations displayed on the client screen are really processed on the server. When you change screens, you ask the server to downloan to your client the new screen information. More than one client can access the server at a time.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited: