Connecting a modem to a SLC 5/04

godfrey

I want to dial in remotely to a 5/04. The 232 port is tied to the OIT. Is there a comm card that can be put in the rack that the modem can connect to?

1746-BAS or 1747-KE, see publications 1747-6.2 appendix B for more details or contact your local A-B distributor.

Yes, Prosoft is a third party company that has an arangement with AB. They seem to be the only supplier of serial cards for the Slick, and control logix for that matter.

Their website is http://www.prosoft-technology.com

The card is MV146-DFCM module.

Don't forget to budget some time for the learning curve.

Read the manual, and get the starter plc program application from them.

Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, I want to go online remotely with my computer in the office running RSLogix and view or edit the program in the SLC 5/04. Are the BAISC module or the MV146-DFCM still the way to go?

[consultant]
"We didn't want to pay for a network interface on the OIT, so now you need to magically add a modem to the system to make up for our mistake. One alternative is to blame Allen-Bradley for not putting three ports on the SLC-5/04."
[/consultant]

MAN, I get this one all the time. :mad:

No, none of the above mentioned devices will get you online with your SLC-5/04 via a modem. It doesn't program through the backplane, and there isn't a slot-mounted module that converts from DF1 to DH+.

A clever device from Jiri Toman's company may work (www.tomantron.com) to let you share the RS-232 port between your OIT and a modem. Check with Jiri to see if your modem will work with his device; I'm not sure about how it does handshaking.

The very high $$ way to go would be to purchase a 1770-KF2 to connect your modem to the DH+.

If your OIT is using DH-485 protocol on the serial port, you can install a 1747-KE module and use that to convert DF1(modem, async) to DH-485(local network, token-passing).