Remote IO or Ethernet IP for Control Logix

ryanweber101

I have a customer wanting to know the best way to pass current part information to out PLC. We have the option of using either Remote IO or Ethernet IP for a Control Logix Model. The only information to be passsed is the encoder (conveyor location) and what part model (there are only three parts to be run on this line).

Thanks for taking a look.

For ControlLogix I would recommend the Ethernet/IP option as Remote IO while stable and robust is rapidly becoming ancient history.

I'd choose Ethernet/IP over RIO in 1756 applications; if you opt for CompactLogix then there's no choice at all.

If the IO is critical in nature for the process, then I would lean toward ControlNet. In my opinion there is too much risk for critical IO to be on Ethernet.

I agree with you Oakley on the critical nature of Controlnet or even Devicenet for that matter. However if my client wanted to choose between Ethernet/IP or RIO using Controllogix I think the best option is pretty clear.

LJBMatt said:
I agree with you Oakley on the critical nature of Controlnet or even Devicenet for that matter. However if my client wanted to choose between Ethernet/IP or RIO using Controllogix I think the best option is pretty clear.

One warning I always give people who want I/O on ethernet, is that the entire plant is relying on the integrity of that little plastic clip on the CAT5 connector

Which is one reason why I haven't used Ethernet/IP for IO purposes. For HMI / PLC and upper level communication purposes I think it is great. For I/O I prefer more device level communication protocols such as Devicenet, Profibus, Controlnet. Although with Controlnet I've had way too many times a BNC connector was improperly crimped by electricians. I would think in the future different types of molded plugs will be used for Ethernet instead of the RJ45 plastic heads. Only a matter of time.

If you are wishing to use 1756 IO, RIO is not an option.

For monitoring purposes that does not have any control function, then I have used Point IO over Ethernet. But this is not used for control functions.