Does the last octet mean anything? RSLinx - EtherNet/IP - Browse Remote Subnet

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does the last octet mean anything?

Technically the network's address is 0, but why does it give you the option in the first place?

Last edited:
Does the last octet mean anything?

Technically the network's address is 0, but why does it give you the option in the first place?

Strictly speaking, the network address is 0 IF you have a 255.255.255.0 (or /24) subnet mask. If you have something like 255.255.255.192 (/26) then you could have 192.168.0.0, .64, .128, and .196.

Granted, you almost always have a /24 or larger, but you COULD do less if you wanted; unless the equipment is so old it only lets you choose class A/B/C.