ab dtam snafu sos

Stationmaster

Hello all, I have a customer with an AB DTAM 1747-D that has failed. I need to get him back in service so I've ordered a used one with which to replace it. I have a couple of questions.

Beyond just acting as a Data Table Access Module, this machine had some "canned text" status statements that would be output by the DTAM to announce certain conditions. Would they reside in the DTAM or in data registers in the PLC? I was kind of hoping the DTAM would be pretty much "plug-n-play". There are duplicate machines to copy from if I have to get into "programming" the replacement DTAM.

Also, I remember a long time ago, I had to "initialize" a new DTAM before it would work at all. It seems like it was just a few keystrokes..... does anyone have that procedure, or a link to it?

Thanks in advance,

Stationmaster

Last edited:
Thanks Bernie, I've been reading up on it. It's something like 126 pages..... Does anyone have recent first hand experience? Highlights? Tricks of the trade?

Thanks,

Stationmaster

Stationmaster,

Those DTAM's have a secret code that prevents them from working in Florida, so you might as well move on up here.

(Just kidding!)

It's been a while since we've used them.

The setup, as shown on page 3-2, begins by pressing and holding the '7' and the 'INC' keys for a few seconds. Since we only used one DTAM to one CPU we set 'AUTO ATTACH' to ON. That's the only parameter we changed from the default.

We also set up the Quick Recall functions to point to our most used locations.

So I can't really help you on any special things like the messaging.

Lancie1 said:
Stationmaster,

Those DTAM's have a secret code that prevents them from working in Florida, so you might as well move on up here.

(Just kidding!)

Believe it or not I could tell you were kidding Lancie. (me too) And trust me, I'm working on it.

bernie_carlton said:
It's been a while since we've used them.

The setup, as shown on page 3-2, begins by pressing and holding the '7' and the 'INC' keys for a few seconds. Since we only used one DTAM to one CPU we set 'AUTO ATTACH' to ON. That's the only parameter we changed from the default.

We also set up the Quick Recall functions to point to our most used locations.

So I can't really help you on any special things like the messaging.

Got it. Well that's about what I figure too. I gather from the manual that the messaging is generated in the PLC (like you pointed out). And like I said, there are other machines that I can hopefully read the function pointers from, and then set them up the same in the one that's going in.

Thanks again, and when the replacement gets here, I may be back with my hat in my hand again.

Stationmaster

Quick update.

There is a 3 pole terminal block recessed into the back of the DTAM. The user must place a jumper on the proper poles to select the "modify mode". Then you can start down the path of selecting your "set-up" options. Quick and easy. The replacement is up and running. Thanks for the input.

Stationmaster