GE fanuc mirco?

MpK

We have an old machine that's been pulled from storage and uses a GE Fanuc Micro (small brick). The machine is at least 9 yrs old and has lost it's program - battery dead. I have the cable/ software (verso pro 1.1) and was able to go online to verify there was no program. I've done Allen-bradly, plc direct, omeron but never GE. My question is with the memory address. %I are the inputs, %Q-outputs, are the %M used for bits and words and %R used for timers / counters? The program is a simple turntable with several cyclinders and a few inputs. The most complicated function will be the bit-shift left. I see timers use 3 consecutive words, is there anything else I should watch out for as far as memory addresses. Thanks for any help.

Discrete Memory Areas
%I - Inputs
%Q - Outputs
%M - Internal Memory, %T - Temporary memory. %M can be retentive, but %T will never be retentive.
%S, %SA, %SB, %SC - System Memory. These can be quite useful. A few examples are %S7 - Always On, %S8 - Always Off and %S5 - 1.0s timer contact.
%G - Global data

Non-discrete Memory
%AI - Analog Inputs
%AQ - Analog Outputs
%R - Register Memory. You can not access individual bits.

There are more, but they are for other GE systems.

One thing to be careful of using VersaPro is retentive memory. If I recall another post correctly, %M memory is set to retentive by default.

The latest software from GE is Proficy Machine Edition, but as old as your brick is, it may not have high enough firmware to handle PME.

If you can program it with VersaPro you can with Proficy ME, the cost for the Micro only is under $200 and the firmware upgrade, if needed will be a free download from the web site. www.gefanuc.com/support. If you need to do any troubleshooting down the road the cost of upgrading to Proficy will be returned very quickly because of the better troubleshooting aids. IMO anyway.
Either way, make sure that you "validate" your logic frequently when you first get started. This is the only way to test syntax and there is little worse than programming 50 rungs to discover that you have 100 errors and need to change half of what you just did becasue of an assumption where the coders "thought" differently than you. Have fun with it. :)