Siemens PLC and aftermarket Touchpanels.

Ben Raines

I have an application requiring me to integrate a CTC Interact Touchscreen (via ethernet) to a Siemens S7-300/S7-400 class PLC. Normally our CTC screens are either serial or ethernet to SyMax / Modicon Quantums PLC’s. This particular application is needed in order to keep cost down. There is a CTC screen at the operator station on the ethernet bus. My issue at the moment is, I can’t seem to get a connection to the Siemens PLC. Typically we drop a CTC screen in the system (Modicon or SyMax), throw tags or direct addresses in the graphics, download the runtime and it flies. I can’t get the Siemens PLC to “talk” to the CTC screen. I’ve tried several of the Siemens drivers in the Runtime to no avail.

One thought I had was, do I have to make a connection in NetPro and download it to the PLC before it will recognize the screen? The machine process runs all the time so getting a few minutes to download the HW Config would have to be planned out well in advance, probably on a holiday shut-down.

Any ideas out there?

Welcome to the forum Ben !

I dont know CTC, but I can answer some of the other questions.
No, you probably do not have to configure anything in NetPro. I can only say probably, because maybe the CTC panel uses some obscure method of communication.

My best advice is that the CTC panel must have a an IP and Subnet assigned that makes the S7 PLC reachable. Try to ping both CTC panel and S7 from you PC.
If you are using a direct cable between the CTC panel and the S7, then try to place a switch in between them. Some times this resolves some issues.
Lastly, be sure to specify the correct IP address and also rack and slot of the S7 PLC !
For an S7-300, rack/slot is always 0/2.
For an S7-300, rack/slot may be different. Try 0/1, 0/2, 0/3.

Come back and tell us how it goes.

Ben,

Are you sure CTC supports S7 with ethernet?.

I used this combination (CTC and MPI) with a Siemens HMI adapter and the SHMI CTC driver years ago.
I went to the CTC web site and ethernet with S7300/400 is not shown.

JRW said:
Ben,

Are you sure CTC supports S7 with ethernet?.

I used this combination (CTC and MPI) with a Siemens HMI adapter and the SHMI CTC driver years ago.
I went to the CTC web site and ethernet with S7300/400 is not shown.
I've worked with CTC Xpress for a while now and they do support S5 and S7 series Siemens PLCs but native protocols (MPI).
The Xpress series comes with all the drivers preloaded, you just have to set up your comms and it should be working.
Haven't looked into Ethernet but in order to do Ethernet you will need an Ethernet Comms module on your S7 chassis or a newer PLC with Ethernet.
And yes, the Xpress series of CTC power stations does support TCP/IP for Siemens hardware.
If you are using a CP the default port is "102". If you are using NetLink the default port is "1099".
Not sure if you are using the Xpress series powerstations or something else.
I have used the CTC Xpress ethernet with Allen Bradley series hardware and have had no issues as well. Comms set up is what usually bites people.

Last edited:
I got it working. I think I forgot to mention that I was using the basic InterAct screen. DOS based runtime, 10" screen. I am familiar with IP addressing, I was going through a ethernet switch. I was trying to use the "Siemens TI Ethernet" driver initially. I think this one is for the old TI line. I know the InterActX and InterActExpress screens both support Siemens Industrial ethernet.

So, I was browsing the support pages on the CTC website and found a reference to some driver files being in thier forum. I found the Siemens S7 driver there (S7EN), and it works. No NetPro configs, just make sure they are on the same subnet and that the Rack\Slot configuration matches that of the Siemens PLC rack.

If anyone needs the file, you have to register to go into thier forums. It's free.

Thanks to all.