Siemens PLC download with IO device

DeltaOP

Hey guys,

I have to take an upload of a program on an S71200 PLC to change a hardware config option and then redownload the program with this change to the device. The PLC also controls a Siemens IO device with the connection specified in the network tab in the old backup I currently have.

My question is, if I take an upload of only the PLC and change the configuration option, will this affect the connection between the PLC and the IO device when I re-download? Do I need to take an upload of the IO device as well and specify the connection before I download again? Or will the connection already be specified in the upload I take?

You do not / can not upload from the IO Device.
I am not sure about S7-1200, but it is possible that you cannot edit the configuration if the IO device is not in TIA's hardware catalog.
In that case you may have to add the device to the hardware catalog, possibly by importing a GSDML into TIA.
You write that it is a Siemens device, so there is a good chance it is already in the hardware catalog or can be added by updating the hardware catalog.
Which device is it exactly ?
What is your TIA version ?

Anyway, you can do the upload and see how far you can go.
It cannot harm anything to work offline, and you cannot download without successful compilation of the hardware.

Thanks Jesper!

The IO device is an ET200SP IM 155-6PN ST. It's controlled by the S71200 1214 that it's connected to. I'll be working in TIA v15