ControlLogix5555 Crashing problem

shamyl

I'm using 1756-L55 ControlLogix5555 Controller with 2xDI, 2xDO, 1xAI, 1xAO, 3xRTD and 1x1756-ENBT/A for Ethernet communication. Now the problem that I'm facing is that sometimes the PLC just crashes. All the I/O modules are displaying Fault indications, and communication just cannot be established, either through Ethernet or through RS232. As such any fault cannot be read from the controller's memory. Also, the fault cannot be cleared from the controller keyswitch. It is cleared only once the controller is given a power cycle (switched off and on). The fault is removed but the memory is all washed out alongwith the Fault Log. Once the software is downloaded the controller starts working again fine. Kindly suggest what the problem might be; we cannot afford many such crashes as the controller is installed on a critical system

Do you have a battery on it? You shouldn't be losing the program or fault log by cycling power.

sounds like a unrecoverable major fault. you can try to use the AB fault dump utility to grab some kind of data. are your firmwares correct?

What version of firmware do you have on the processor? What is the firmware revision of the ENBT?

If I remember right (which may or may not be the case) the L55's had quite a bit of issues associated with them. I remember vaguely changing out this processor with a different one.

That sounds like the same problem I had with every L55-M13 processor I used (about 4 of them). About once a year, they would lose everything. I would simply reload the program and be on our way.

I have had issues like this in the past and it usually is one of two things. I have had a situation where a solenoid valve was about to fail and was introducing mass amounts of noise on the a.c. power line and when this happend the processor would dump.

I have also had issues with chassis power supplies that will do the same thing.

Just my $.02

The first time it happened I replaced the power supply, and bought the large external battery pack. I also bought external battery packs for the other 3 processors and installed them the next weekend. They would all still lose their program.

I finally went to the L61 processor and have had no more problems. I also heard about this same problem in other plants form the company I worked for, so more than likely it was not power issues or faulty installation, poor ground, or bad field devices.

These were all things I checked and tried to do something about. After hearing of the same problem at other facilities and other processors of my controlling whole different processes in the plant, I abandoned the trouble shooting and changed processors. I have not had this trouble with an L61 processor.

Hi,

There is a memory parity issue with the 5555 processors. We had to replace all of ours with 5563s to get rid of the problem. All 5555 processors have this issue and there is no fix for it. I would suggest calling your local AB rep. if you really want to use one.

There are a *bunch* of service advisories out for ControlLogix processors which include the L55. Just a thought, but have you checked AB's Knowledgebase to see if your processor made the list?

The battery is just fine, not such indication. No trouble ever in the power supply. Firmware was recently updated to 15.06. Nothing found yet that could be causing the problem.

From all the input that you guys have given, I can conclude that there are some faults with the L55 controller worldwide which can be troubleshooted. And that the only solution is changing the controller to some other one!!??

Check with your AB Sales Rep. We were able to trade all of ours in and get a discount on new 5563s. But first of all, get with your local AB Rep. and they should be able to tell you more about the 5555 issues and what AB has done to remedy them.

btw we have the same processor (L55) being used in a DAS at our plant and never has it given this problem. Do you think this problem could be related to the type of usage of the processor, like calculations etc?

isnt there anything that could help in diagnosing the problem? or any way that i can read the processor's fault history?