ACS800 Comms Fault

Viks

Hi guys,

I have an ACS800 at our plant which gives a Comms Fault after almost every power failure. It is connected to a devicenet network and so are other various drives on site but this is the only one giving up the fault. I suspected the Devicenet Module(RDNA) to be faulty so i replaced it but still there is no change. Is there a specific parameter which needs to be setup for this fault not to come up and automatically reset the drive after the power is restored? I do have DriveWindows but I'm still new using the software. Any ideas will be appreciated.

cheers,

Viks said:
Hi guys,

I have an ACS800 at our plant which gives a Comms Fault after almost every power failure. It is connected to a devicenet network and so are other various drives on site but this is the only one giving up the fault. I suspected the Devicenet Module(RDNA) to be faulty so i replaced it but still there is no change. Is there a specific parameter which needs to be setup for this fault not to come up and automatically reset the drive after the power is restored? I do have DriveWindows but I'm still new using the software. Any ideas will be appreciated.

cheers,

Hi,

You have a ageneral parameter for automatic reset of faults, have a look at 31.01 and 31.02, as per default automatic reset are set to '0' I think.

To disable the com fault alarm the drive detect´s you can do this with parameter 30.18.

Compare these parameters above with the settings you have at your working drives.

Weo, the Group 31 parameters are not going to be of any help because the Comm Fault is not a resettable fault as listed in parameters 31.03 thru about 31.10.

It can be turned off as you mention at 30.18 but that still doesn't help explain why it happens.

I suspect that, for whatever reason, the drive is powering up and initializing faster than the comm module permitting this fault to occur. Or maybe the drive is at the end of a bus leg that has some component in the fieldbus system that is powering up slowly.

My guess is that this is more a Devicenet problem than an ACS800 problem.

Has ABB Field Service been contacted for help on this?

Thanks guys for your suggestions.DickDV,I'm not sure if ABB provides field service in Fiji but will surely find out.

cheers,

If not in person, you can surely reach Tech Service through their website or by phone. That would be 800.752.0696 menu option 1, menu option 1 if calling here in the US. I don't know what extra you would have to do to access this phone line from Fiji.

Good luck.