Fix32 DDE to Excel Application

SNK

Hi everyone, I am still working on this old, and outdated HMI system for our Legacy Process system here in our plant. I had hopes that it would have been decommissioned already, but it appears that this system will continue to run...

I currently have a working application with the following;

FIX32 version 7.0
Win2K SP4
Controllogix Gateway to DH+
Numerous PLC-5 Processors

My application is functional. I read and write tags using the ABR driver in Fix32, through the gateway. Currently, I am using the HTD function, grabbing data and using this data in order to create graphs and such for management. I have to specify dates, times and pen data, and then export the data to a "*.txt" file so that I can later open in notepad or excel, in order to create even more graphs. This is a labourous task, and I know that it could be automated, I am just not sure how.

There is a function in Fix32 with a DDE server that should allow me to grab the historical data directly to Excel, but I cannot seem to get it to work.

I am following the manual, DDE support, and NetDDE support, but the manual refers to Windows for Workgroups version, not Windows 2000. I am not sure what really pertains to me, if I actually need to set up the NetDDE or what?

Has anyone had experience setting up a local DDE exchange to Excel?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

I made a reporting system that did exactly what you did and it worked quite well. I will have a look through my archives to see if i can find it.
It was 10 years ago though, so i dont like your chances.

Thanks for your reply.
I hope that you are able to find your archive, for my sake!
Any input would be appreciated.

It seems like the DDE just isn't a big thing anymore....
The manual mentions NetDDE, but there just does not seem to be much support....

I will do some more searching in the GE tech forums.....

In Windows 2000 you if you have to use NetDDE then you will need to crate a truusted DDEShare. However, you typically do not need NetDDE on a local box.

It has been several years since I even looked at Fix32 so waht I am going to say is being pulled out of my dusty memory. I believe you only need the application name 'M***CEL', the sheet name i.e. 'Sheet1', and then each tag will use a cell reference for the cell it is populating with data i.e. 'R1C1', 'R1C2' and so on. Also check to make sure the DDE is running.

Thanks Fred.

I have been searching around on the GE support sites, and there is an application that does just what I want. It is called HTD2CSV.exe It is available as a program utility download on the GE website.
Unfortunately, our company does not have a Globalcare account.
So, I am unable to download it.
Does anyone happen to have it available?
It is really old, so I wouldn't imagine that it is a huge software issue....

sorry mate, i cant find it.

NetDDE sounds familiar though. I would have used Windows NT at the time.
Also, what Fred says sounds familiar too. I dont remember having any real problems with just doing what the manuals said.

Sorry i cant be of much help! Damn my poor memory :(