BootP Server for Linux?

Hmmm... bootpd and dhcpd can both be set up to handle bootp requests, but I don't think they are what you are looking for since they are server programs that run in the background and need to be pre-configured.

Not sure of the goal but...

Have you looked at the linux terminal server project. It probably has all of the pieces you need.

+1 - the appropriate Linux daemon is called bootpd and is included with most distros.

Hmmm... bootpd and dhcpd can both be set up to handle bootp requests, but I don't think they are what you are looking for since they are server programs that run in the background and need to be pre-configured.

+1 - the appropriate Linux daemon is called bootpd and is included with most distros.

I believe these need to be configured with MAC addresses before you can use them. The programs I am referring to have the following functionality:

• They monitor the Ethernet port for BOOTP REQUEST messages.
  • Then they display the request in a window showing the MAC address that sent it out.
  • They allow the user to type in an IP address and subnet mask for the station that sent the request
  • It then sends out a BOOTP REPLY message to the requester so it knows what IP address to use.
Most of what I have read regarding the built in Linux bootp servers required you to edit a configuration file and to know the mac address of the device you want to configure. Please let me know if I'm wrong here.

Thanks,

Last edited:
More info

I did a project at a school using Edubuntu/ltsp. The bootp server did not need to be configured for mac addresses. It did need to be configured with a range of ip addresses to assign. Really quite simple.

MAC address reservations for DHCP/BOOTP servers is an optional feature. I'm actually a fan of using DHCP with reservations for servers and devices that are typically static (like printers) as a means of central management on a robust network. Every DHCP/BOOTP server should accomplish all your bullet points except "They display the request in a window showing the MAC address that sent it out". However, all should be able to maintain such logs.

That said, I often find windows GUI applications easier to deal with than Linux ones. But OP did specifically request Linux.

I believe these need to be configured with MAC addresses before you can use them. The programs I am referring to have the following functionality:

• They monitor the Ethernet port for BOOTP REQUEST messages.
  • Then they display the request in a window showing the MAC address that sent it out.
  • They allow the user to type in an IP address and subnet mask for the station that sent the request
  • It then sends out a BOOTP REPLY message to the requester so it knows what IP address to use.
Most of what I have read regarding the built in Linux bootp servers required you to edit a configuration file and to know the mac address of the device you want to configure. Please let me know if I'm wrong here.

Thanks,