OT Ontario Electricians

allscott

I'm hoping someone from Ontario can provide me with a link or an explanation as to how the different classes of electricians work there.

I am in Saskatchewan and am looking to bring out an electrician from Ontario for an interview and I've never understood the different qualification levels out there. In Sask you are either an electrician or your not. There is no difference between industrial, commercial, etc... Here you finish your apprenticeship and either decide to write the IP or not.

For me to hire this person he needs to be an IP Journeyman electrician. I don't want to waste his time and our money bringing him out if he's not qualified.

Thanks in advance.

a 309A licensed electrician is a construction and maintenance electician, which pretty much means a fully qualified electriction. A 422 is an industrial electrician, which means he is only able to work in industrial enviroments. he is not able to work on construction sites and probably has very little experience installing conduit and wire ect.

Thank you. Do you have any idea what a 422 would have to do in another province in order to get a license?

This qualification level seems backwards to me. Does this mean that a 422 is qualified to work on high voltage in a factory but can't wire a house?

I hold a 422, and it is INTERPROVINCIAL. That means, I can work anywhere in Canada, being employed as a competent Industrial Electrician, working under the employment standards act.

Yes, you are correct. I am not licensed to wire up 220V single phase homes.

But, I am qualified to troubleshoot 600, 575,377,480,220,110, devices,3-Phase, Single Phase, and oh, and don't forget the DC sources as well.

If I step off of the company property and attempt to fix someone's poorly grounded receptacle in their home, I can be held accountable for my actions in court.

What gives....... It is definitely a mix up in qualifications from my perspective....

But, I don't make the rules, just follow them.

Thanks, I just got off the phone with the apprentiship office and they confirmed that with a 442 you can apply to get a special license to work here.

If I step off of the company property and attempt to fix someone's poorly grounded receptacle in their home, I can be held accountable for my actions in court.

What gives....... It is definitely a mix up in qualifications from my perspective....

But, I don't make the rules, just follow them.

Having worked both construction and maintenance IMHO
the are some substantial differences.

a 309A licensed electrician is a construction and maintenance electician, which pretty much means a fully qualified electriction. A 422 is an industrial electrician, which means he is only able to work in industrial enviroments. he is not able to work on construction sites and probably has very little experience installing conduit and wire ect.

EDIT: The industrial license is 442, not 422 as i previously stated.

I sympatise with the industrial electricians as I am one to!
It is the same in the UK. There is more regulation of electricians who work on domestic premises than industrial - although both present equal levels of danger. I personally think "House bashing" is soul destroyingly boring!

The other thing that comes to mind is the danger that arises when modifying plc programs!!!

I know this doesn't help in Canada!

I sympatise with the industrial electricians as I am one to!
It is the same in the UK. There is more regulation of electricians who work on domestic premises than industrial - although both present equal levels of danger. I personally think "House bashing" is soul destroyingly boring!

The other thing that comes to mind is the danger that arises when modifying plc programs!!!

I know this doesn't help in Canada!

As far as I am aware there is no laws in the UK though to stop someone trained on one, doing the other. An electrician is an electrician.

A friend of mine who's trade was a carpenter, re-wired his own house, this did not break any laws, the only thing it needed was to pass the tests that's rerquired to enebale power to be turned on, who did the work was of no consequence.

As a newcomer to Canada I still find the rules they have in place totally overbearing, if anyone thinks the UK's a nanny state, then please experience the US and Canada.

I still find the pinky ring comical.

I presume the whole problem over here is the tendancy to sue at a drop of a hat, everyone's scared of litigation.

Yet the level of installation I experience is so many years behind Europe, its unbelievable at times. Yet you cannot state this as for some unknown reason they believe they are ahead of the game.