EOL-End of Line Resistor

Normally, an end of line resistor is used to monitor circuits for an open circuit fault - for instance in a fire alarm call circuit. The Alarm "Knows" if it does not see the nominal resistance then the circuit has failed to open and brings on a fault lamp.

Some comms use end of line resistance to terminate a bus network - like profibus where either end has a resistor that can be switched in.

I am not too sure about Rockwell but cannot think that you would use a resistor on an input!!??

This is the last time I'm going to offer help without a part number or at least some specifics. I have a hard time reading minds over the internet

This wouldn't happen to be a Compactlogix would it? Ar you asking about a right end cap used to terminate the chassis-less system?

Or perhaps a safety sensor of some type?

Hi,
I was wondering what an End of line Resistor is? we are using it in connection with Digital Input Module
Perhaps your system utilizes input modules that incorportate diagnostics? e.g. Control Logix 1756-IA8D, etc. Just a guess. The end-of-line (in this case at the card terminal, a leakage resistor is used to determine that the control wiring loop to the field and back has continuity... thus, an open wire fault diagostic. Could be.

Perhaps your system utilizes input modules that incorportate diagnostics? e.g. Control Logix 1756-IA8D, etc. Just a guess. The end-of-line (in this case at the card terminal, a leakage resistor is used to determine that the control wiring loop to the field and back has continuity... thus, an open wire fault diagostic. Could be.

Not strictly right - the leakage resistor is placed across open contacts, (e.g. pushbuttons), in the field, as close to the contact as is physically possible.

That way the whole of the wiring to/from the contact is tested for an open-circuit "wire-off" condition.

In all my experience - "end-of-line" is mostly refenced to communication cabling, to prevent "echoes" of the signals being reflected at the physical end of the cable.

Protiusmime,
You are right, I thought he was referring to a termination resistor placed at each end of a multidrop comms connection
Regards
Roy