Laptop docking station with serial port

asia548

As we know in industrial application there are still lots of equipment still

use serial port. today's laptop only come with usb, no real serial port h/w.

using a usb to serial port converter, sometimes work but mostly don't. my

question is does anybody have experience with docking station for laptop that

have a serial port? is it as good as serial port that comes with the laptop?

As we know in industrial application there are still lots of equipment still

use serial port. today's laptop only come with usb, no real serial port h/w.

using a usb to serial port converter, sometimes work but mostly don't. my

question is does anybody have experience with docking station for laptop that

have a serial port? is it as good as serial port that comes with the laptop?

Just buy a PCMCIA serial port, have a look at the Brainboxes range: http://www.brainboxes.com/category/pcmcia.aspx

Thanks for the info, will this card works under DOS (not windows)?

I dont know about native DOS driver, you would have to check that.

I used to use it in a DOS window from Windows XP with Mitsubishi's Melsec Medoc DOS program and it worked perfectly.

I have a IBM X60 w/docking station/serial port.
Works fine.
My newer laptop has an express slot rather than the PCMCIA,
not sure how long much longer PCMCIA will be available.

Hi Guys,
Just being nosey! :) What have you successfully connected to using the brainbox converters?

Cheers Steve

I used a dontronics USB to serial converter successfully for 6 months before the new laptop. I never not once had any dramas connecting to AB CLX / SLC / MLX, Mitsi, Hakko HMI, T/E VSD, Sick safety, and some Microcontroller stuff.
Awesome product, well priced, I carried two so I could work online and carry out HMI editing at the same time. Brilliant. (I don't work for them by the way)
And yes, serial port laptops are still available.

Hi
I have used it on GE Fanuc 90/30 and 90/70, Mitsi A series, various servo drives and motion controllers, SSD Drives (CE Lite)

Agree fixed rs232 port is best but rare as rocking horse ****
Cheers

I have a dell lattitude 640 with docking station and I have no problems running applications that use the serial port. both windows and dos apps.

For PCMIA and USB to serial converters I have found that if you go with the name brands they tend to work and the bigger companies will have drivers that are supported in a dos environment. They may cost more but they tend to save more in the end.