Forum Help

godfrey

I don't understand the use of the

To use files on your hard drive you have to use the File Attachment feature. Note that once you do this the file is uploaded to that web site and can be accessed from that website as long as the administrator does not delete it.

IMG is used to portray an image that is on a website....the following can be found at http://www.patchn.com/motors.htm

This is an IMG:
stopstartmotor.gif

This is a file attachment:

s7addressing.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry dude, you can't use the [IMG][/IMG] tags to show a picture stored locally on your computer. You HAVE to attach them to your post.

If you can get your pictures onto a server somewhere (i.e. personal web space, your company's host, etc.), then you can use the [IMG][/IMG] tags to point to the picture(s).

Note that you can manually type [ATTACHMENT] to place your attachment some place other than the bottom of your post, and you won't see the
bmp.gif
Attachment: stuff!... :D

Also, bitmaps (.bmp) will not display as they are usually kinda big. Jpgs will display, but are also large (keep in mind not everyone has broadband access yet). Your best bet is to stick with gifs... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

Dial-up prices vary depending on what you're willing to put up with. Most of the major providers (AOL, MSN, etc.) are just over US$20/month, but you can pay under US$10 for services like NetZero if you don't mind being force fed advertisement (though you get 'em with AOL anyway).

DSL and cable service run around US$40-50/month, so I guess it works out to roughly twice the price for broadband over dial-up? Therefore, either dial-up is dirt cheap, or you're paying way to much for broadband over there in Oz... ;)

Keep in mind that I am only about 30 or so miles outside New York City, so it's a heavily populated area (emphasis on 'heavily'!). Broadband may get more expensive as you get out in the 'boonies'?... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric

Thanks Eric :)

The OZ price I pay for dial-up is about AUS$17.00 a month, unlimited time & unlimited downloads, whereas most broadband plans start from AUS $50.00 for a measly 500MB (which doesn't go very far :( )

A lot of ISP's are trying to tie people into long term contracts, so I think the price may drop very soon :rolleyes:

I usually can get jpegs to be smaller than gifs. You just have to play with the size and quality. For our purposes, you usually don't need high quality.

As for broadband, like was said, usually $45-$50 a month. I dropped my $20 dialup account and $20 second line for $45 cable modem. It took me about 3 seconds to make the decision. Now even my wife can't be without it. She says we can drop everything else we pay a monthly fee for, (including cable tv), but not the broadband.

Last edited:
I live in the "boonies"!

Eric Nelson said:
Broadband may get more expensive as you get out in the 'boonies'?...

I currently have a cable connection, and recently swithched from DSL. Both were 39.95/month. The DSL was just starting up, so speeds were just a little faster than dial-up, so we switched to cable.